AntiSmoking Vaccine in 2012?

susiestar

Roll With It
I have been reading the May issue of Reader's Digest. They have an article with 25 breakthroughs to improve your life.

One of them could help many of us - including you, Janet! It is called NicVax - a vaccine to help those who quit smoking stay non-smokers.

It is given as 6 monthly shots. At the end of the course of vaccines your body has antibodies that bind to nicotine when in enters the bloodstream. This makes nicotine molecules too big to cross over into the brain so you CAN'T get the buzz from smoking!

Because NicVax doesn't work on the central nervous system the article says side effects like dry mouth and sleeping problems are less likely to be problems.

This may be released in 2012 and is touted to "give smokers a fighting chance to end the addiction-relapse cycle" by Nora Volkow, MD, of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

I know Janet is starting welbutrin to help stop smoking - I hope and pray it works! This may be a tool she can use in the future to prevent relapses, as can the rest of us.

I have one aunt that I would LOVE to see get this. She fights hard to smoke as little as possible and to quit every year or two. It is just so very hard.

Most of us have a loved one or acquaintance we hope this could help.

(the article has a LOT of other cool and potentially useful stuff in it!)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My quit date is fast approaching - that would be THIS THURSDAY. I'm doing it cold turkey. I have some of those "Commit" lozenges that I will try. A few years back I tried Wellbutrin - wow what a disaster!!! NO ONE wanted to be near me - including me - I went from mild difficult child to EXTREME difficult child FROM HADES. The patch gave me acid-trip dreams, even when I only used it 2-3 hours a day. Mine isn't the high - it's the HABIT. I can go hours without if necessary, but drat - when I can do it - ARGH!

This time, though, I have my own incentive program... LOL!

As for the "arbitrary" quit date - decided on it in late December - it is my anniversary at work, tax day, father in law's birthday, and the day the Titanic sank... I think that's enough... LOL!

Just wish the vaccine was already available, I'd have quit earlier...

Fran

Former desparate mom
If they ever invent a fat vaccine, I'll be first in line.
Good luck to any of you who are trying. I'm glad that I don't smoke anymore. My clothes, hair and breath are much better smelling.

susiestar

Roll With It
A few years ago I learned that my "social" smoking was really a symptom of depression. When I start to get really depressed I start to think about smoking. Now, if I start thinking about it I call the doctor and go back on prozac (don't need it all the time).

This seems to work for me.

I wish all of you the best of luck with your cessation efforts.