Anxiety in a six year old

Angela41

I haven't posted in awhile because my son's issues have calmed down considerably since he started kindergarten. He rarely hits anymore, he's sometimes defiant and disrespectful, but it's not too far out of bounds. Lately, however, he seems unusually concerned with germs- to the point of putting tissue down before going to the bathroom (at home!) and often refusing to drink out of glasses that we've touched. It's not constant, but it's been going on for about 6 months. He said he heard the news on NPR last Spring about some babies dying of the avian flu (his dad had the news on while they were driving) We've talked about reasonable germ precautions (e.g. washing hands, sneezing into a sleeve, etc.) but the concern is persisting. My boy is super smart (independently reading chapter books, advanced in math, etc) and I have read that very young, smart kids sometimes worry. I'm just concerned about him developing Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
Anxiety is a heritable condition, and I've had it off and on for a few years- I've always been a worrier, but would classify my recent state as actual anxiety. It comes and goes but I've visited a doctor a few times for help- no medications except low dose insomnia medication.

Angela41

I forgot to say that any insights, or experiences, or even ideas about how to talk with him without inadvertently making him more fearful would help. When I talk with him, I seem to accidentally add to his fears.

buddy

Oh my gosh did you bring back memories. My sons anxieties have changed over the years and here I recently posted about his response to the school shootings.
When he was your child's age he was so literal and rule bound so when he learned about germs or even cancer he obsessed about it and did a lot of handwashing. He'd accuse me of poisoning him if there was a germ on something. For us it has just been a part of him we live with and Ive learned to avoid embellishing should there be a topic that could result in anxiety. Sometimes thats impossible. Sigh.

Blueknight

Angela, I know many on here, including myself are plagued by anxiety and over the top worrying. Since I'm not a doctor I can't help to determine if it is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or general anxiety he is having. But does it seem just to revolve around health? I know there are a ton of great books on CBT and other therapies to help with anxiety, or maybe even consider going to therapy. I'm a bit on the natural side, trying those things prior to medications.

I love the old therapy views of "I blame my mother", but she was VERY into getting a symptom and researching what it COULD be. I, of course, picked this up, so when I had thyroid nodules last near, and was in the process to find if it was cancer, I knew everything about the thyroid, para-thyroid glands, the stats on what it could be (benign, or one of the four major types of thyroid cancer), my survival rates, treatment, etc. etc.!) It ended up being benign, but because of my thought processes I ended up in a nice major episode of depression and anxiety. I finally broke down and used Xanax just to sleep and give my mind a rest.

The reason for the above history, is I am darn worried now about my kids being exposed to the same Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Anxiety habits that I have, and them adopting those habits. My only suggestion would be maybe having him see someone, but you as well so that you aren't feeding the habits. I can tell you that even today, being around my mother, who I do love, sure makes my own issues worse sometimes!

On a positive note, I have observed young traits in not only myself, my children, and other kids where they have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) like bouts of doing something odd, and it goes away after time.