Anxiety won this morning

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't have my car this morning, and easy child had to be at work at 6:30 and DF has to leave at 7:00 for school. Today is teacher collaboration day (every Wednesday), so it is late start.

The plan was for DF to drop difficult child at school on her way, but difficult child overslept. She hasn't walked to or from school yet (we are not on a bus route), and the idea of doing it for the first time was just too daunting and sent her into shutdown.

So, she is home today and we have plans to overcome this. She wants to walk home from school first to gauge how long it will take and to make sure she knows the route (it's a direct route) before she has to be somewhere at a certain time. So, she is walking home tomorrow. Next Wednesday, she is going to arrange to meet up with a friend who lives a little closer to the school and walks.

So, I'm not feeling bad about today. We have a plan of action. One step at a time.

I told difficult child that I really want her to work hard to not let this set the tone for the rest of the week. I reminded her of how well she has been doing. When she gets into this level of panic, her first response is that the medications aren't working. I reminded her of how much she's been smiling and laughing and said that is improvement going on at some level. Then reminded her again of how well she's been doing. I'm going to be working hard with difficult child to not let this one episode destroy the progress that she's made.

LittleDudesMom

Heather,

hopefully your are right and this is just a little bump and not a detour. It sounds like she is doing so much better. I hope the two of you have a good day.

Sharon

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hopefully she hears your "pep" talk/reality check and doesn't let her head win over and start the cycle again. I think the plan for dealing with this moving forward is good. Enjoy your day together!

flutterby

Fly away!
Thank you Sharon and G.

She did very well and she did not let yesterday's panic override the progress she has made. We are leaving for school in about 2 minutes. :)

crazymama30

Oh good, it is great that she can look past yesterdays issues and go to school. I am so glad. She seems to be doing so much better.

flutterby

Fly away!
She did very well. She walked home which made her cranky because she was hot, but she chilled quickly.

She went today. It's GSA Day of Silence and she's excited about being part of that.