Any advice on starting a support group!

Leigh

Hi Everyone,

I just found this web site tonight. I have signed up for a few support group web sites. I am going to be starting a support group in my area next month. If anyone has any advice on starting a support group or any suggests I am all ears.
I am married and I have one son named Cooper. He has ADHD and ODD, we found a great therapist that has helped my family. I started looking for answers when my son was three, it was hard to get any one to listen and help me. I am a Regional Director for 5 Child Care Centers, so I have alot of experience dealing with children, at first that did not matter. My husband and I were peristent and kept looking for answers, because if I didn't I was going to have a mental breakdown.
All of us parents have to realize that we are not alone and we are great loving parents.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Tanya:D

smallworld

Welcome, Tanya!

Have you been in touch with your local NAMI (www.nami.org)? Your local chapter may be able to direct you to a support group that already exists so you don't have to invent the wheel. I live in Maryland, where our state and local NAMI chapters sponsor many different support groups throughout the month. If a support group doesn't currently exist in your area, NAMI Virginia may be willing to send you for training on how to start your own support group.

CHADD is another organization you might want to check into. You might also want to call local hospitals to see if they sponsor in-person support groups.

Good luck.