Any appliance experts here??

klmno

Arghhh...I just knew my post yesterday about getting so much done would create a jinx! LOL!

I didn't use the range when I got home Fri. but was going to use it last night. It won't come on. It's an electric range with controls on a back panel. The oven light will come on, the clock is working, when I turn a knob to cut on the burners or oven the lights come on like it's heating up, however, nothing ever heats up- the coils on the rangetop and in the oven stay cold. I flipped the circuit breaker and cut it back on, tried again, got the same results. I found an online manual and found no answer other than make sure it's getting power. It is or else the controls and clock and light wouldn't be turning on.

Suggestions?

I put in a trouble ticket online with the lease manager but this means I have to wait a couple of days then be here for someone to come and look at it, then be here again for someone to come and fix it. And of course, no range to use until then. PITA!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The element may not be plugged in all the way.

I would wait for a professional, hon. Hoovers, but...

klmno

I had taken the elements out of the stovetop before I went on my trip- I was cleaning the stove. I have taken them all out and put them back in again and I still can't get it to work- maybe it's some electrical connection between the controls and the rest of it but it seems to me at least the stove top or oven would work- one or the other, at least. Nothing comes on to heat with. But the control for the oven light is turning the light on.

DDD

Waiting for the pros is a good idea. It may just be a fuse, breaker or relay switch and not something major. Make sure you write down the make, model, year plus exactly what the problem is....and....ask in advance what the service call charge is PLUS get an estimate before repairs.

Why do I would so paranoid??? Well, my dishwasher stopped working a few months ago. I call my "regular" people (twenty years) and the service man made the call and said "I've got to order a part. It should be here in three days." Fine. Three days later he repaired the dishwasher and my bill was almost $250. Yikes. I could have replaced it with a new one! DDD

PS: Break out your crockpot or your little hibache!

klmno

Well, this is the one benefit of leasing instead of owning. THEY will be footing the bill for this one.

I had planned to make a brocolli casserole in the oven and boil some little red potatoes to go with some meat cooked on the grill later this afternoon. It will keep but it sure was my motivation for today- I was really looking forward to it after a week without a home-cooked meal. I have a MW but am not sure about how to cook the casserole in it, or in the slowcooker. I guess if I get desparate enough I can go buy a large toaster over and cook in it. I like those a lot but I was trying to keep my purchases to bare minimum until I figure out if I'll be moving again this summer/fall- or unemployed AND moving too.

DDD

Go to Allrecipes.com and you will find out how to do the vegetables....in the MW or in the SC. Actually you can probably do both on the grille if you have aluminum foil. Good luck. DDD PS: You can put foil wrapped things in the SC in case you didn't know. Then there's no mess, either.

klmno

I can bake a potato in the MW or on the grill - I'm happy either way. But the brocolli- I really want that casserole! It has mayo, egg, cheese, etc in it. So what's the best approach? Should I try that in the slow cooker or just spring for a toaster oven? I'm a little afraid to try it in the MW- even though it will cook my gut tells me it won't taste as good.

keista

The casserole should turn out fine in the microwave. There might be a slight difference in taste but not much. Meats and breads are the things that come out strange in the MW due to texture changes.

klmno

Well how on earth do I figure out how to convert 40 mins on 350 (covered) to time and setting in a MW and can I cover it with plastic wrap without it melting?

keista

It sounded as if you had this all mixed up already, and you really want it, but also wasting ingredients might be a concern, so if it's mixed up, freeze half and experiment with the other half.

I would start with 20 minutes on high, and then check for doneness. then do 5 or 10 minute intervals. Yes, you can use plastic wrap, but try to have it pulled very tight so it doesn't touch the food. High fat content (mayo, eggs) cna cause it to melt. You can also use a plate or bowl to cover (doesn't have to cover completely) Remember that you are experimenting, and might not come out exactly, but with tweaking you'll have a recipe for 'next time'.

If you're friendly with neighbors, they might be willing to help out and let you use their oven..

DDD

Go to Allrecipes.com and enter in the search "microwaving casseroles". Your recipes isn't there but there are a number of them that probably will give you a clue. Wow....just noticed the time, lol, better hurry. DDD

klmno

I caved, went out and bought a toaster over. I'd been missing one and figured it's not a waste of money- eventually it will pay itself off by me not having to heat the large oven up just for garlic bread or something small. It was $50 but is a convection oven, toaster oven, broiler, and rotisserie. I just put the casserole in. I did still have to use the microwave though for the stovetop portion of the recipe. I'm sure there are a lot of other equally good recipes but you know how it is when you have your head and heart set on something and darnit- I figured I deserved it! LOL! I stuck a regular potato on the grill- I'll save the little red ones to see if the range is fixed within a couple of days.

Now my chores are done for the day- I'm down to checking on and adding to my online job search, looking for difficult child's MH records (I know where part of them are), and writing him a letter. If I can get those things done tonight and eat my dinner, I should sleep well.