Any bread bakers in the house?

ctmom05

I've been baking bread on and off for ages. Mixing the dough in the bread machine and baking it in the regular oven works best for me.

Lately I have been experimenting with throwing in a little bit of wheat flour or oatmeal in place of the white. When I use the different blends, the loaf does not seem to rise as high.

Do flours other than white need more yeast...or do they just not rise as high?

Abbey

Spork Queen
If I was a bread baker, I'd easily be a good 100lbs heavier...and rising. (no pun intended) I can't resist a nice hot loaf.

Sorry, no help here.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I believe there is a difference when baking bread using whole grains or mixed grains. I borrowed this excellent bread baking book from the library and plan on buying it. For the life of me, I can't find the piece of paper I wrote down the name on, but when I find it, I will post it. It's excellent and it tells you all about baking breads with different grains, excellent recipes, etc.

I have been making breads for H's lunches for a few weeks now and I've experimented with different whole/multi grains and I definitely notice the change in the rise. My current recipe book only states that baking with whole grains or multi grains will produce a denser and smaller loaf. I see that there is no difference in the amount of yeast either recipe calls for.

ctmom05

GVC, the article that you pointed shared the link from was helpful. As I suspected, all flours are not created equal when it comes to interacting with the yeast.

Jo :) let me know when you dig up the name of that bread book that you like. I like baking bread and am always interested in hints, tips, recipes.

When you factor in everything that goes into making a loaf of bread, I think it probably is still less $ than purchasing a loaf of good bread from the store. When made with white flour and yeast bought bulk style, the cost goes down even further.

There is nothing like the smell of bread fresh out of the oven! Sometimes I do the bread making/baking at night and my husband, who stays up a little later than I do, ends up being the one to put it in the storage bag after cooling - there is always a cut off the end of the loaf.