Any good cloudberry recipes?

SuZir

We are having the best cloudberry year in ages. Usually what ever we can found are easily turned into a jam and eaten only in special occasions. But year being so good, and me being irritated enough to my offspring to run them out to the bogs with buckets and a threat to not come back without something to make me feel better has left me with buckets full of cloudberries, probably closer to 30 gallons than 25 so it would be fun to try some new things with them. I know many of you live in cloudberry areas so you may well have some different recipes for them.

So any fun recipes anyone?

Last edited:

everywoman

Okay, I had to look this up---no such fruit in my area, although they look similar to blackberries---which are sweet when ripe. I also saw ideas for jams and liquors.

Cloudberry Layer Cake
Ingredients
Makes 16 servings

6 large eggs (about 1 1/3 cups), room temperature
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoonkosher salt
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, stirred before measuring
2 cups cloudberry preserves
3 cups heavy cream, whipped
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark rum

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Break eggs into a liquid 2-cup measuring cup to measure.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine eggs and sugar, beating on high speed until light and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
Beat in vanilla and salt. With a rubber spatula, thoroughly fold in flour.
Divide batter evenly between the two pans. Bake until the cake springs back when touched in the center, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool. Loosen edges of cooled cakes and remove from pans. Using a serrated knife, slice cakes horizontally to make four cake layers in all.
For the filling: Whip the cream until firm but not stiff, and add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
To assemble the cake: Place bottom layer on cake plate, brush cake with rum, and spread with one-third of the filling. Top with the second layer, brush with rum, and spread with 1/2 of the preserves. Top with the third layer, brush with rum, and spread with one-third of the filling. Top with the fourth layer, brush with rum, and spread with remaining preserves. Using a 12-inch pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip, pipe remaining filling on cake in a decorative pattern.

donna723

I always thought mulberries grew on big trees? When we were kids in Missouri, an aunt who lived in the country had a huge tree in her yard that she always claimed was a mulberry tree. They were shaped like blackberries, very sweet, but not quite as dark purple as blackberries. We could only reach the ones on the bottom branches but we'd eat them till we were almost sick! And when we moved to Florida, a neighbor had the same kind of tree in her yard and she always referred to it as a mulberry tree too. Haven't seen one like that in years.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
SuZir, in the USA they are found in Minnesota. I don't know that many of us have ever heard of them. mother in law was an American Finn so i bet she knew about Lakkalikööri.

SuZir

Thanks ThreeShadows, that is something I have to try. Liquor part of course is something I'm familiar with. I usually make a bottle or two (because I have a good recipe for a cake I can use alcohol marinated berries), but Cloudberry liquor is also a stable in our liquor stores.

Wizend: I kind of live in extreme north, I guess, LOL. (It's matter of opinion of course, but do remember that in Europe climate is much warmer up north than in America due Gulf stream, but yes, some parts of Alaska are very southern places from my point of view.) But according wikipedia and other sources cloudberry is also found in northern Midwest and most of Canada. And yes, cloudberries are orange or yellow when ripe and tend to grow in same places northern cranberries do. Mulberry is a different berry but apparently there is some common mix-up in names.

Last edited: