Any one here a member of a crime scene clean up crew?

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I used hydrogen peroxide on easy child's mattress, can't get the blood stains out, I was soooo flipped out by her episode that I let the blood sit for a week. There are stains all over the wall to wall carpeting in her room and a trail leading down the spiral staircase.

When we kick the bucket and the kids sell this house the new owners better not use luminol in here. They will think this was a crime scene!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Three shadows...

Not a member of a crime-scene clean up - BUT

I remember watching a few episodes of a crime-scene clean-up show...and they always advised just tossing the mattresses. They explained that there is no way to clean it thoroughly.

tiredmommy

I think I would contact a cleaning service like Servpro since the stains have had time to set. Ask if they'll give you a free estimate and then decide if your better off cleaning or replacing.

H

HaoZi

There are professional clean teams, but blood... well blood always tells. Toss it, and the carpet.

Star*

call 911........call 911
You can try this - Not sure after a week it's going to work -

do not RUB - but make a paste with salt and hydrogen peroxide. Let that sit on the stain for about 1/2 and hour just pour the salt and make a paste then dab it and see if repeated tries of that work. The salt SHOULD pick up the blood. (for the mattress)

On the carpet - I'm trying to remember - but DO NOT RUB either -

I think.....you use lighter fluid - like RONSONol......Dab on a old Tshirt - Make sure your windows are open - and then dabagain = Try on a test area and see if it works but it's going to stink to high heaven. I know it gets stains, can't remember about blood.

used to have a Merry Maids and it was owned by SERVPRO. Try the salt and peroxide......and if the salt and peroxide doesn't get it - try salt peroxide and baking soda....it's a combo of two or three of those. That I know for sure on a mattress - (we had little girl stains to get out all the time) but you have to let the salt set. then wipe up.

susiestar

Roll With It
Lighter fluid can create long term problems, so I would use it only as a last resort on carpets/upholstery/mattresses. If you encounter a fire later, the lighter fluid can still feed the fire. this is esp not good on mattresses.

Remember that you NEVER use warm water on blood stains - it sets them in.

If you need to create a stream to get into a tough corner, try reusing a saline bottle from contacts. FYI, AOSEPT contact lens solution is peroxide that changes to saline with the presence of the catalyst dohickey. It is awesome on blood stains. Clorox 2 is also pretty much diluted peroxide and colors, scent, etc (put 1 cup of water in a jug, add water to make 32 oz and it will work just like clorox 2 color safe bleach).

Depending on other spills/stains in the room, you might consider treating with something like Kids 'n Pets after the stains are mostly gone. It is an enzyme cleaner that will neutrralize any lingering odor that might attract a pet and give them signals to mark the area. It is the enzyme treatment we have found most effective with pet accidents. I have always found it in Walmart with carpet cleaners (not with pet stuff). I don't think it would remove the blood stains but I haven't ever had to try it on them. Here is a link to the company website:

I hope this isn't too awful a job for you. I am sorry that it is something you have to deal with.

Nancy

Suz me too....

I just went back and foudn the post 3S. I'm so sorry. Your daughter is beautiful inside and out. I just hope she gets the help she needs. It is so sad that she is in this kind of pain.

Nancy

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Make a paste of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer - it breaks down the enzimes. One of my fur babies lost a toenail a couple of weeks ago, and my brand new jeans were a mess trying to hold her still in the car on the way to the vets.

It worked wonderfully and no stains at all

Marcie

H

HaoZi

A great stain remover my Dad showed me years ago is Goop. It's a waterless soap you can find in the automotive dept for less than $5, and one tub of it lasts a long time. I've gotten India ink out of carpets with the stuff, among other stains.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. I think I missed a post too. And I stink at looking up old posts........

I hope easy child is ok. I hope you are ok too 3S.

(((hugs)))

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks for the link, Heather.

3S, I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful easy child. What a blessing that you found out so that she can get help. I'm so sorry.

Hugs,
Suz

3S,

I too am saddened by your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

I'm not a member of a clean up crew, but a double homicide happened in the house next door; and I spent a lot of time talking with the gentleman who took on the task of cleanup. (He was a former EMT, and decided to go into this field because he saw the need and wanted to help folks who had gone through such trauma.). All of the carpet was pulled up and discarded, as well as the involved furniture. All areas with stains were repainted. This fellow had a lot of experience in the field, and he said this was the best way to go. Would it be possible for you to hire someone to do this work? It might be easier on you in a lot of ways.

Please know that we are thinking of you!

Valerie

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Something I used on an old mattress I once had, similar to Star's salt and peroxide, only a tad easier and smells better - white paste-type toothpaste. Spread thickly, let dry for about 6 hours, scrape up. It wasn't perfect - but it didn't look like blood anymore, either.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Oh and FYI - as far as being a member of a crime scene clean up crew.......(not to make light of your situation at all)

There were PLENTY of times I wanted to well, um.....you know.....and probably could have had it not been for proper medication and therapy, but I'm not sure that clean up is something I'd readily admit to....openly. I'm still laughing about "shaken teen syndrome".