Any weight gain supplements besides Ensure?

veggiegymrat

My son has been losing weight since on Adderall XR, so I've been giving him Ensure. Does anyone know of a better product? The ingredients in Ensure are ****.

Thanks for any replies.

Jena

Hi

When my difficult child had eating issues due to medications long ago I'd make her shakes in the a.m. i'd fill them with fruits apples, bananas, blueberries yogurt and even ice cream at times. it sounds silly but she loved picking out the stuff at the store for them and sh eloved making them and eating them and the weight went on eventually.

i wish you luck it can be so hard watchiing them either eat too much due to medications or go thru what you are experiencing.

susiestar

Roll With It
Have you tried the Zone bars or Balance bars? They are balanced nutrition with approx a 40-30-30 ration of fats-carbs-protein. They give a decent amount of nutrition in a fairly tasty format. I give them to my kids instead of candy any time I can. There are a LOT of different flavors, so it is very possible to find ones they like. Kashi GoLean bars have good nutrition AND they have fiber (6 grams in the Rolli bars - 3 grams soluble and 3 grams unsoluble). And if I will eat the things ANYONE will. I am a terribly picky eater and HATE anything that tastes like "health food".

You can also make homemade granola and add protein powder. I have a great granola recipe that is simple to make and wonderful with vanilla protein powder in it (I use EAS brand from Walmart - it has no artificial sweeteners as we are terribly allergic to them). I can post the recipe if you would like it.

Ropefree

Banned
Veggiegymrat: Weight gain...the first thought that came to my mind is peanut butter fudge which is made with nut butter, nonfat dry milk(or protein powder), honey and cinnamon. If you do not prefer peanuts use almonds or cashews or peacan butter or sunflowerseed butter.add raisens, or dry fruit bits .
Mix these and let them chill in the refrigerator and then cut into squares. Or roll them into balls.
Another approach is to try and have your youngester eat breakfast befor taking the medications and offer little snacks of good things through the day.
One thing I noticed about my son was that he went through stages when he just did not eat much. And then one day he would be eating again for awhile and it was a surprise and then he would slow down again.

veggiegymrat

HI all, yes, unfortunately all Zone bars contain high fructose corn syrup. I'm a personal trainer, nutrition consultant and vegetarian and we eat a very clean diet, so HFCS isn't an option.

I did find a supplement called Source of Life (brand) Animal Parade Shake. Good stuff!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You will not believe this........but if his diet is supplimented by Slim fast shakes he will also gain weight...as long as he's still eating. Many kids think they taste better and there is more variety of flavor. Probably their bars and such would help too, but bulk would be the shakes.

This is why you have to be so careful on those shake diets......cuz if you don't skip the meals, it will pack on the pounds instead of you losing them.

We were going to do this for grandaughter Aubrey when she was having a bit of trouble with weight for awhile. But she liked the Ensure, so it wasn't necessary.

Hugs