Anybody do Black Friday?

BusynMember

I went out later in the day. I'm in a smaller populated area so there was no drama, but didn't see many good sales either. Probably had some early in the day then jacked the prices back up again.

With all the stories I've heard about what happened today in bigger cities, did anyone go out besides me? I did buy some presents for my oldest daughter and her SO.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I did... I posted in another thread.

I looked at the ads online last night and was not impressed. Toys were a good price, but otherwise - meh.

We did really well at the outlet mall though!

buddy

I dont know what I was thinking.... I dont do black friday...

So just skipped my mind... and today Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) worker came and Q said he wanted to go to MOA (mall of America...you know, the largest mall in the usa? ) oh heck, that sweet guy said, ok....

He said it was a little overwhelming but that Q did great! He hates to be followed too closely, but Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) said that if he got more than a few feet away too many people were between them so he couldn't have line of sight supervision. Q finally accepted it. He is still good now to, actually made his own goal to do a really nice job so he can stay up late and watch a sporting event (he had me print out a list of things he wanted to watch... he writes down schedules. Loves to make lists of things..... gotta be a paid job in that somewhere)

So, I did my shopping online, but sounds like the mall of america is pretty buzzing! An online article said 15000 people showed up at midnight! How I didn't think of that and tell Q NO WAY...but they did fine. I had supper with a friend who I used to teach with...her son who is autistic and in transition plus right now works there in a flag store. HE did fine and took a bus home himself tonight!

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, Travis tried to get a 40" flatscreen tv at midnight with sister in law's help for 200 bucks. They ran out with the person in front of him. Travis said he was bummed but then the couple behind him....the wife was telling her husband that the tv was his birthday gift and she hoped he enjoyed it. Poor guy, Travis said, didn't get his tv, had to feel worse than I did. For Travis is was a oh try to get the deal but if not no biggie. He'll just watch sales and see if he can snag one at a good price somewhere else during the season or even on an after xmas sale.

I took Travis out to the drug stores this afternoon to look at the toy deals. He still had Aubrey to buy for. He picked her up something nice for a steal. I grabbed 2 of those microfiber throws for 3 bucks, some card games for the kiddos for a buck each (to put back for a rainy day), and something for Nichole for a steal.

easy child and I will do our drug store deals early in the morning before I start cooking our Tday dinner. Most of the stuff they had for basically free was still on the shelves. So we'll see what we want tomorrow. :)

But one black friday at the outlet mall was enough to cure me forever. Never ever again. No way no how. Not worth it generally.

DammitJanet

I heard one Walmart in NC had a big issue but they didnt say what city...wonder where. I dont think it was my city because Tony went with Mandy. It was his first time without me and he didnt do as well as I do but oh well. He said people laughed at him because he didnt have much in his cart...lmao.

One of my major issues now is that Walmart is open on Thanksgiving day and they put the stuff out there but it just isnt on the sale price until whatever time it says. Okay...well...that means everyone grabs it up really early instead of when the sale is supposed to start like the old days. You arent supposed to take the stuff until 10pm but everyone does. By 9 there is nothing left except the electronics.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
There were a lot of people at the outlet mall, but we didn't get there till like 2:30. Close (well, semi close) parking spot, never more than 2nd in line. For shopping, not too bad.

I worked at Target on Black Friday a couple years in a row. UGH!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ours makes you stand in line and wait for it. Then they start handing them out at the set time. Especially electronics. Otherwise........it would get really ugly fast.

sister in law was surprised I didn't go with them last night. Uh, no. I don't need that mob scene. We did walmart once with a pre set plan, got what we wanted and got out. But man it was a nightmare in there. But I really don't think I've seen anything worth it since that one time.

KTMom91

Miss KT and I were in line at Kohl's (because the Target line was too long) at 11 pm. Got Miss KT clothes for Christmas (I am officially finished shopping for her), stuff for our gift exchange at mother in law's, and a few toys for friends' kids. Put the stuff in the trunk, went to IHOP, stopped at Starbucks, went to Target (NO lines), got what we needed, and were home by 4:30 am. Went to bed about 9, got up at 3, and Hubby took us to dinner for my BD.

Renea

I skipped it this year. We're broke right now so no money for black Friday. Lol. I went two years ago and swore I would never go again but there were a few things I wish I had been able to snag this year. Maybe on cyber Monday....

DammitJanet

Well Billy got home a little while ago and I learned that there was some interesting things that happened in our area today!

Seems that in our two local Super Walmarts (yes, in my little one horse town we have two super walmarts!) we had two deaths! Only one was a murder or homicide I guess I should more accurately call it. The other was a fight and a man had a heart attack.

Walmart 1 had a huge fight break out over electronics. One man standing in line but having nothing to do with the fight dropped dead from a heart attack.

Walmart 2 a unreal fight broke out between 2 women in the early morning (around 3 am) over a $5 door breaker item. There was only 3 left and one woman was trying to take the last 3 of them and the other woman was trying to get at least one and they were fighting, then some strange woman came up saying that you can only have one item per person and they both turned her and the three of them started brawling and one of those women ended up dead!

Then in the mall up in Fayetteville NC, three men started a gun fight in the parking lot of the Cross Creek Mall and carried it into the mall at about 2 am when the stores were open! Amazingly no one was hurt. Gang activity they suppose. Thankfully bad aim.

Then a little kid ...well..he is now a late teen...probably 17 or 18 by now, I still think of him as little because he has MD, was shot the day before yesterday and is in the hospital. I dont know how bad but it is drug related. Not him but a bad family. He is related to that whole disgusting drug dealing family I talked about in another thread...the one whose mom dealt drugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow! Now that is pretty darn bad. I somehow don't think any bargain is worth death or going to jail.

I wonder if the economy is playing a role. People having much smaller budgets for xmas and trying to still provide those over the top xmases they might have gotten used to ect?

I'm impressed you have 2 super walmarts too. lol Even the college town 20 miles away isn't considered large enough for 2 of them.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't usually go out on Black Friday, but this year I did. There was a particular item I wanted to get my two uncles that was offered at an outlet store, so I ventured out for their midnight opening, got what I wanted and then stayed out. For 15 more hours (!!!) It was quite an adventure and I really got on a roll. Got some surprise freebies at few places which was an added bonus (three free movie tix, an ornament, a sports cap and some other trinkets). Now I can happily say that I am finished with ALL my shopping save for difficult child 2, and it was all pretty much within budget. Everyone else in my immediate and extended family (plus a birthday being celebrated tomorrow) is covered. Never been this far ahead this early in the year! :bigsmile:

DammitJanet

I have ended up on that 1saleaday newsletter thing which is really bad for me...lol. I dont have the best impulse control which is why I never watch the home home shopping channels but yesterday I noticed that they had this little silver heart necklace for a buck with free shipping. Just a dollar each! I was sure they would be gone by the time I saw it but they werent. I am pretty sure they are just silver plate. Cannot possibly be sterling at that price. Anyway, I bought 4 of them for gifts: Mandy, Billie, Hailie and Keyana. I would have got one for me but those chains are never long enough for my neck.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Onyxx and I ran to Wal Mart today to return the thong undies and get more realistic ones and found an air hogs helicopter for Jett! Whew. He's SO HARD to shop for... No line at all to check out. The return line was pretty long, though... Weird.

H

HaoZi

I went out after work yesterday to see what was left. I was surprised our Wal-Mart still had the under $100 19" LED HD tv's for sale, a whole stack of them. Pretty sure the bigger models sold out fast. No, I didn't get one, didn't have enough by then, lol. I did nab what I think was the store's last copy of RED for $5, I searched 4 different $5 movie displays before I finally found it lurking behind other stuff (if you haven't watched it, it's great). Got a stereo speaker tower thingy for a great price (and got a gift card for buying it), now I don't like watching TV without it. It's not verrrry noticeable sound-wise until you turn it off, then it's like sound went from 3D to 2D. Grabbed a mini-cupcake maker (and got 10 ECB back). Landed a waffle maker at WM for under $3 (present for neighbor that always borrows my kitchen stuff). Got a couple other movies for $1.96-$9 and wished I had more to spend. We got the jellyfish lamp, too. For whatever reason, watching real ones in aquariums is very soothing to us, so for $10 to have some fake ones at home I'll consider it a good deal at full price.

cubsgirl

I work very part-time at Target. I had to work Midnight-4am for Black Friday. Actually it was kind of fun because the shoppers were really pleasant and excited about their purchases. It was crazy busy from midnight-2am and then it just died. No customers in line but 12 cashiers open. They asked if I wanted to leave at 3. I did want to leave LOL.

I went straight to electronics to see if the Kindle they had on sale was still in-stock and it was! Between the doorbuster price, my employee discount, and my Redcard discount I got it for a steal. easy child saw it in the ad before I went to work and wanted it for Christmas. First thing she asked when she woke up was "Did you get the Kindle".

However, I think working on Black Friday has cured me of any urge to do the Black Friday thing. I'm just not that patient.