Anybody else have the winter blahs?

muttmeister

This is a general rant and a whine so if you're not in the mood read no further!:angrygirl:
The weather here has been rotten. My electric bill for this month is nearly $400. :sick:
Today is cloudy with freezing fog and more freezing rain, snow, and ice on the way. I was hoping to go to Kansas City this weekend to visit friends but that is not looking possible. I haven't been anyplace since September and I'm definitely getting cabin fever.:faint:
difficult child 1 is getting married and wants me to help with the wedding; that will probably cost me over $1000 but I really don't feel that I can say no because I spent that on difficult child 2 when he got married and difficult child 1 is actually a lot more deserving than difficult child 2 was. Bride to be wants me to make the dress. Actually, I used to sew a lot; I'd see an outfit in Vogue for several thousand dollars and knock it off for only a little so I have the skills but I'm not sure I have the patience or the will.:badmood:
difficult child 2 has been spending our money like it's going out of style and Grandma and I are both broke. He doesn't spend it on things like fancy clothes or booze or stuff like that; it's things like his truck is broke and he needs it to go get fire wood or the baby needs diapers and they don't have enough to buy a box. He does a lot of things for me (my water froze up last week; he came right over and fixed it and saved me a several hundred dollar plumbing bill) and I don't mind helping out some, especially now that he is working but I took early social security thinking I'd use that to pay off some high interest bills and instead most of it is getting spent.

My mother (age 95) is going down hill and that is another worry. He drives her crazy needing money and other things and then she calls me and drives me crazy.

This morning they called me to babysit just as I got out of bed. The pickup was broken again and it needed a $300 part but he has a friend who has a junk pick up just like it so he told difficult child to come and get it and use it for parts, which is great but I really don't enjoy babysitting all that much at all, but even more in the morning before I've even had my coffee.:coffee:
On top of all of that, the grandkids have pinkeye and I suppose I'll have that before all is said and done.

I try to look at the people in Haiti and places like that and be thankful for all of the wonderful things I have but right now I just want to crawl in a hole and pull it in over me.
:grounch_day:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am sorry- I would take some of the blahs if I could.
We are getting our first rain in months... we are in such a drought.
I hate to say it but I was in sunshine blahs! It's true though after almost a year of non-stop sun you need some clouds and rain.

I won't get into my family issues... this is your's- and I get too long winded! LOL
I am sorry about about the grandkids pinkeye is blech! I am truly sorry about your Mom.

Hang in there, Winter does end. :)

Nancy

Yep I have them too. I just heard today that the third week of January is the most depressing week of the year and this past Monday was called Blue Monday because more people are depressed that day than any other day.

I hope things go better for you soon.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have a serious case of winter blahs myself. Add into it that I still am battling a cough after the pneumonia.....and I'm desperately attempting to catch up with school work....even as they pile tons more on top of it.

It's awful when you can spend up to 12 hrs in a single day studying and going over material and still don't really feel like you've accomplished anything. Let alone know it. lol

Winter is my least favorite time of the year. And each year I get reminded of why that is so. After xmas I'm soooo done with the season. ugh!

Sounds like you need to plan a fun day out of the house for yourself. Cabin fever can get nasty.

Hugs

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Move over, MM, I have them too!

Like Lisa, I'm also battling the post pneumonia cough.

There are a lot of frustrating things going on with the planning for my Mom's move into a nursing facility: My sisters and I were all on the same page and now the sister my Mom lives with is on the fence again - all very frustrating as I am trying to complete the paperwork and financials!

I have been trying to fashion some form of a budget for myself and for the life of me, I just can't seem to get it together...unless I'm just doing it wrong.

I start school tonight and am a bit concerned about how much of the class participation takes place on line even though it's an on campus class. I'm keeping up but some of the procedures are very new to me and I feel like the geek on the first day of school with the ugly book bag and nerdy clothes. Thankfully, there are other older women in the class.

Although I've been praying daily for my nephew (the one in rehab), I have no one I can talk about it with, because his mother, my sister, is the loco one and she's just been a horror about talking with anyone, so I keep to myself and talk with H, who believes that nephew "just needs to man up".

Looking at all the destruction and horrors going on all around us and far away lands always helps me to re-think my grumpiness, but like you said, sometimes you just have to let the grumpiness take over so you can move on at some point. I've been trying to plan something every week - just something small that will get me out and about, even if it's a trip to the mall or to have coffee with a friend. This Saturday we may drive to the shore and visit my 'surrogate' son; I miss him and it's easier for us to go to him than for him to take a train up to us. So I'm going to look for something to do down there and make a day of it. It may end up just being lunch if H comes with me.

Chin up, this will pass - keep busy! Hugs~

KTMom91

Me too.

With Hubby's layoff, money worries, car trouble...and I have a nasty cold, just praying it doesn't get any worse and turn into something else.

Meet you at the cafe for some tea and cookies. I'd invite you over, but the house is a colossal mess.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Blahs here too. Cabin Fever is pretty normal in the area where I live, even though it's actually been abnormally warm (in the low twenties) and we've had no snow thus far this month; which is really weird.

It's more a case of not seeing the sun for days on end and winding up loafing around watching TV, reading, or surfing.

I've got yesterday's dishes still in the sink and can't get motivated to do them...blech.

Abbey

Spork Queen
If it gets below 75 I get the winter blahs. Smart decision to move to WI.:faint: It really does effect your mood when you don't see the sun or feel it's warmth for weeks on end. I did see it a few days ago but it was 8 degrees and very windy. Kind of ruins the effect.

$400 is a LOT for a heating bill. Mine was just shy of $200 and I nearly had a heart attack.

Hang in there. I know we got fall transition clothes/shoes in yesterday. I'm like...wait a minute. Where did spring and summer go?

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Abbey, up here in WI, Fall clothes ARE summer clothes to a large degree. We do wind up wearing light jackets and sweats and the like in the Spring and sometimes even during the summer months in the PM.

You should start to see real summer clothes in summer colors very soon. If you need winter clothes, NOW is the time to buy them as they usually go on clearance at this time of year.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, I bought winter clothes today at 75% off to the tune of $109 bucks. I don't know if I should smile or frown.

I've so far made it through this far through winter without bailing back to Vegas, but I swear if I don't see a spring and summer...get out of my way. I will certifiably be a crazy woman. (Wait...I already think I have that certificate. Drat.:surprise:) I want some incredibly warm days lounging by a pool getting a tan.

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
We do get summer up here, but sure don't get the kind of heat you used to get in LV. I'm miserable if it gets ABOVE 75 degrees.

Best advice I can give you for summer is to go for summer clothes, but keep out some long pants and sleeves and a light zip sweatshirt or windbreaker.

last year we had frost at the end of August and it snowed in MAY...didn't stick, but it sure snowed.

Can't say about this winter beyond it being considerably warmer than usual and a lot dryer. You get a lot of Lake Snow because of your proximity to Lake Michigan.