Anybody watch the Haiti telethon?

muttmeister

I definitely think it was a great idea and I enjoyed the music but, since I'm old and out of it, the one thing that would have made it better would have been to identify the people who were performing. I knew the majority of them but there were a few I knew and couldn't put names to and a couple of others that I had no idea who they were. Maybe people my age weren't supposed to watch.:tongue:

tiredmommy

I think they were trying to keep the focus on Haiti in doing that but I agree, it would have been nice to know who the artists are.

donna723

I only watched it for a second and just happened to know the one who was on at that time - Sting! And the only reason that I know who he is is because he's a ringer for one of my nephews!

witzend

Well, Shakira brought to mind what a wonderful singer Chrissie Hyndes is. Her range isn't big enough for that song.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It aired early at 5pm on the west coast on one of our cable channels (Palladia -- it's a music video channel). I was really moved by the the vignettes, the personal stories. I liked that the performers focused on the message their songs relayed rather than the "performance". Everyone was dressed down for the most part. It was a very conservative evening with a somber tone. I loved what Muhammed Ali wrote -- it was inspirational.

I've already donated all I can to the Red Cross for this effort. I look forward to hearing the results of tonight's telethon!

witzend

It was very like the 9/11 program that they ran a few days after. I know that it raised quite a bit of money. I'm hopeful that after the shock of all this is over, that Haitians will continue to receive the aid that they need to join the 21st century. They never really recovered from their first revolution.

klmno

I watched part of it- I didn't know most people either. I agree with keeping the focuas on Haiti too but still would have liked to know who the people were. I also agree with whichever star had previously suggested that the stars who make tons of money put a little in the pot, too, if they are going to ask the general public in a horrible economy to do it. I'm under the impression that many stars did contribute though. I heard today that the death toll is well over 100,000. Even with our horrid situation of 9/11 which of course caused by someone's intentional actions and not a natural disaster, we just don't realize how lucky we are in this country. I don't know if we've ever had a disaster that cost so many lives.