anyone doing the bioidentical hormones?

Lothlorien

Curious. My aunt is doing it and she says she is feeling so much better. She told me to go this new doctor, because I told her about what was going on with me. I'm gonna call him today, but I was just curious if any of you were doing that and what were your experiences?

crazymama30

Actually, psychiatrist who's wife is a practicing DO, suggested we may want to do those for difficult child's unexplained hair loss. psychiatrist uses them for something (I did not ask as I was not sure if I wanted to know), and seems happy with them. I know it involves a salivia test that costs anywhere from $35 to $140, and I have no idea how much the hormones themselves cost or how they are taken.

I would try them, they seem like if they did not help they would not hurt anything.

ScentofCedar

I think this is what Suzanne Sommers writes about in her last book. Dr. Phil's wife used that same strategy to survive her menopause too, I think. The theory is to replicate the hormone levels you had as a younger woman ~ thus, the term bioidentical hormones.

Suzanne Sommers swears by it.

I recently read some research indicating that there may be a connection between the development of asthma and menopause ~ especially in lean women.

Which I am.

So, I am curious about what others of us know of these treatments, too.

DHEA, the precursor for both estrogen and testosterone, is something I am wondering about, too. I have heard it can lead to excess testosterone (and therefore, worsening symptoms) in females though, so I am a little leery of it.

Barbara

TerryJ2

I have the book.
But I can't do it because I've had breast cancer. Whether the hormones are the real McCoy, synthetic or herbal, I can't take any chances.
Wish I had better info for you.