Anyone else afraid of the election results? Actually not political

witzend

No, I'm only terrified that the one who has bankrupted dozens of his own and hundreds of other people's businesses, is being investigated for child rape, and thinks that women should be prosecuted if they have an abortion winning.

I have no fear of the one who has been lied about for the past thirty years winning. I know a lie when I see one, and I'm sick to death of them. I don't know why people can't figure out that if she'd actually done something illegal she'd be in jail for life by now after the Billions of dollars wasted investigating her.

Oh, and by the way, the comment I got from a friend's fiance this morning that Hillary and Hamed are lesbian lovers and that Hamed is a member of the Muslim Sisterhood and might don an exploding vest any minute didn't do anything to dissuade me, either.

How on earth can you post this question and think it's "not political"?

BusynMember

Well, Im afraid of ones mental stability and what h/she may do with the power of the bomb and the other will get my vote for that reason. I have never been actually afraid of a candidate before. There have been plenty i disagreed with politically, but still realize they mean well and are very good people. This time I am not just thinking they are unsuitable. I am afraid of one of them, which is different.

KTMom91

I think both of the major candidates are frightening, and both have the potential to plunge us into disaster.

Signage is limited around here as well. The mayor's race in the neighboring city is generating more signage than the presidential election.

However, I will be voting, because if you don't vote, you have no right to complain about the outcome.

Malika

Just for the record... in my opinion, the only post in this thread that is "political" is witzend's because it names the candidates and states a clear preference for one of them. Everybody else does not express support for one or other side but says they are both equally bad and unsuitable to be elected.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm gonna stay out of this beyond saying one thing as I am a highly political animal and am volunteering on "my" preferred presidential candidate's campaign.

The one thing? As a result of this, I am getting a baseball cap with said candidate's name and logo on it. It occurred to me that if I wear it in public, someone might try to knock it off my head...with a bullet.

Yeah. I'm scared too.

pasajes4

I am not thrilled with either one of them. I think in this atmosphere it will be important to vote for congress/ senate persons very carefully. It will be their job to keep things from going off the rails no matter who is elected. I think straight party voting may not be a good idea in this area.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Where I live, voting a straight ticket is a necessity, due to the quality of what we've got running here. WI is sort of a strange situation.

My biggest immediate concern is social unrest after the election, no matter who is elected

BusynMember

I remember when I felt comfortable splitting my ticket. Those were the days.

I hope there is social unrest. That is the only way certain old people in charge change their views sometimes for the better. There is much injustice in our country. Fortunately in my opinion the changing demographics will force change in any candidate hoping thank you o win a national election. We see the changing demographics affecting this election. It's not a white country only anymore. Minority voters are affecting possible outcomes in certain states...and our young!!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Nope, barely any signage here also. I think people are flummoxed.

We just had our locAl elections...I don't ever talk politically....I am religious...but not going to push that either..truly...my home is so full of issues of our own! I can't deal with much else!

Lil

Are signs just not a thing anymore maybe? After this thread, I paid attention. In a nearly three mile stretch of very busy residential streets between my house and the grocery store, I saw one sign - for Governor. Going to pick up my son from work, another several miles again on very busy streets, none - granted it was dark and I may have missed one. On the way to work today. None. It's strange! Last election there were signs everywhere.

BusynMember

At least around here, the last presidential election was full of signs and car bumpers. People were maybe more excited or enthusiastic about their candidate? This time zi am voting against somebody, not for anyone so I am not all that excited.....in my opinion only there is nothing to be excited about this time.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Houses and cars have been vandalized and in at least one case, a pet dog was killed, due to persons having a sign promoting a certain candidate on their property.

SWOT. My concern about social unrest is not the peaceful, civil disobedience. We both know there are large numbers of heavily armed people who have been brainwashed to believe that the only ways their candidate can lose is due to voter fraud or election tampering.

The potential for real rioting with live ammo is there with this election.

I usually cover my car in magnets, too. This year I'm not. I like my car. It's nearly paid off. I expect to be able to drive it for many years yet. This general election year, putting my candidate's magnet's, even my party's magnets, on it are asking for my car to be vandalized.

Nope.

AppleCori

I am not thrilled with either one of them. I think in this atmosphere it will be important to vote for congress/ senate persons very carefully. It will be their job to keep things from going off the rails no matter who is elected. I think straight party voting may not be a good idea in this area.

Would that it were so, Pasa.

Divided government does serve one purpose, however. Keeps both parties from fully implementing their unique and specific horrors upon us.

Both congress and senate have a well-deserved 11% approval rating. Other than the ones that have them bought, and their own mothers, their popularity is quite small.

Last edited:

BusynMember

GN, I don't think that will happen. The true loonies have been around for a while. They tolerated Obama election. I don't think there are truly enough loons to do anything. They are big mouths and mostly old men, not the sort who can or will take to the street.

The young are not with them. Will never be with them. Look at the age of the average talk show host who fires up that ilk. Their listeners are largely the same age.

Terrorists in all countries are largely quite young. Our young are not going to be upset if there is a loss here.

On the other hand, I do believe they are capable of less invasive crime, like defacing a car. For that reason, I never do signs or car stickers. This year, however, probably out of fear (I hadn't thought of fear) nobody seems to be shouting political preferences. And for those not afraid, as I am, it could be lack of enthusiasm or embarrassment or both.

Honestly, if I were not so afraid of one candidate and nukes, I'd probably vote third party to protest poor choices. But I really don't want to see us nuking anyone and that is on the President unilaterally. I never feared that before. I do today.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I was unaware. What is the chain of command?

I don't agree everyone is apathetic, bit I do think a lot are. So far in my lifetime there has been no nastiness in any election due to the results.

Thanks for the info.

AppleCori

The president must relay his request to the Secretary of Defense, who can refuse the request and call the cabinet and Congress and alert them if he thinks the president is not right.

Protocols require the Department of Defense to notify all leaders in the White House, including heads of both parties majority/minority in both Congress and Senate, Chairpersons of various committees like Appropriations, Defense, Intelligence, Energy, Speaker of the House, Vice President, and many others.

It is not a simple or quick process.

AppleCori

No, I have never seen nor experienced any nastiness in any election cycle, either.

Just saying that the fears of "old white men" rampaging is a bit overblown, and not any more likely to do this than any other group, on either side of the aisle.

Anybody is capable, very few people do it.

Most people are reasonable, rational, and capable of intelligent discourse without resorting to violence or bullying.

I agree, some people are not apathetic, but, as you have stated, the overwhelming majority are not enthusiastic.