Anyone else afraid of the election results? Actually not political

BusynMember

WITZ, guess it's political, but not specifically about the merits of one vs. The other. It's a very odd election cycle. Many people don't care at all for either candidate.

Anyone notice how well the Libertarian candidate is doing in many states?

Jabberwockey

No better than they ever do. Everyone spouts off the line about wasting your vote or casting a vote for whoever they think will win between Clinton and Trump whenever I ask what the off party candidates look like.

AppleCori

My oldest step-son has become staunchly Libertarian.

He is voting for Gary Johnson (and not just because he is a fellow pot smoker)!

Nomad

Staff member
Yes. At first I was more afraid of one. Now, I'm afraid of both. I am going to try my best to be supportive of whomever ends up getting elected. I am very concerned. Sadly, even my friends and relatives who are very sure of who they are going to vote for say things like "I'm going to hold my nose and vote." "Well he/she has many issues, but I'm going to vote for him/her." And these quotes are from two diff. candidate supporters. Two of our relatives are not voting. Two very diff. people. One young person, and one elderly/great grandmother. The great grandmother says it is by far the worst/strangest election she has seen in her lifetime. I may not vote and I'm very sad about that prospect. I certainly am going to do my best to vote, but for me, it is certainly not clear and is bizarre. Ive narrowed it down to not voting for one and either voting for the other or not voting at all. At least I've narrowed it down a little. I think it could be rough times ahead, but at the same time, I'm sure we will be just fine.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I am not sure we will be ok, and I usually laugh at people who be level that one candidate will implode the country. This time i am one of them. The one I'm voting for I don't like, but I'm not afraid of what he or she might do.

I have never lived through such a strange election cycle and my first cycle was way back to Nixon/McGovern.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yeah, for me its more a vote against, though I've been a life long member of that candidate's party.

My issue is I have relatives who went through WWII in the old country and England, and over the past 20 years lost a lot of elderly relatives who survived the Sho'ah.

What scares me is that if the attitude of a certain group of political cronies and their supporters is allowed to flourish, we'll see it again.

My mother, who grew up hiding in "the Tube" (subway) during the Blitzkrieg, has been through one World War. She sincerely hopes to die before there's another.

Nomad

Staff member
Come to think of it, I have not seen any signs either in my area. It might be too early. I don't know.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm having trouble truly remembering. I guess I could say that in past elections, right about now, in my area, signs were popping up. I wouldn't say eerie yet, but if it continues by mid Sept., yes, it would be a little eerie in my view.
I appreciate the neutrality of this thread. An interesting topic by itself, without specifics.
I have a very old, good good friend who has leanings different than my own. However, I can't tell you how blessed I feel that we seem to be able to talk a little bit about politics without it being stressful. We never push the envelope, because this probably would be foolish.
She (my friend) has expressed her feelings (she feels extremely strongly about a candidate and is unconcerned about any criticism toward this person). I see my friend's posts on FB and they do not bother me in the least. I mean that completely. Sometimes, I absolutely do not see my friend's point. I am absolutely fine with that.
I have a lot of respect for my friend and respect her thoughts.
I think she is surprised I might not vote, but she doesn't seem concerned.
This type of respect is probably rare.
Anyway, again, I appreciate the neutrality here.

BusynMember

Becsuse both candidates are so greatly disliked, which is so unusual, I figure people on both sides or no side could be very nervous. I felt we could have a discussion without names of candidates but of feeling and atmosphere.

I feel no disrespect for anybody at all just because we dont agree politically.

BusynMember

Appl, my ex, who i was married to for 17 years and am still friends with, votes the exact opposite of me most of the time. So what? That had nothing to do with our divorce...except teasing each other a very little, we didn't barely talk about it.

I dont like or dislike people, nor should anyone, based on who they vote for. Lets face it...we dont usually have great choices anyway...lol. I judge folks by their kindness.

We have an abundance of good hearted people on this forum. The kindness on this forum overehelms me. I dont know if hardship makes one stronger, but I do think it makes one more compassionate.

pasajes4

Let's hope congress/senate and their handlers can temper whoever gets electeds weird, dangerous, scandalous, dishonest and down right disastrous plans nipped in the bud. We the people can no longer afford to be complacent even after the election. Folks it is time to get our collective heads out of the sand.