Anyone else ever lose a job because of difficult child behavior?

Stef

Dazed and Confused
I lost a part time job I was doing over the holidays because of something that went down at home with difficult child. I called in and the guy seemed okay. The next day I show up and whamo- adios amigo. Granted, the guy is an A-Hole. I've known and worked for him in the past, but still, to fire someone for a personal issue? The guy told me he won't have an employees personal problems affecting his business. I was back with the guy 8 months, and this was the one and only time something happened that caused me to miss work. Like I said- the guy's an A-Hole. Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Last edited:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hi Stef--

I am so sorry that happened to you!

I have also had jobs where the boss made it very clear that the issues with my difficult child would not be an excuse for missing/interrupting work.

So as a result, instead of taking the "corporate" route....I've always found work that was flexible, part-time, under-the-table or otherwise not quite so formal. It has definitely held me back from a "career-climbing" point of view--but I don't feel as though I've had any other option, given the realities of my life.

Stinks, but what else can ya do?

--DaisyF

maril

Stef - I am sorry this happened to you. It must have been devastating.

Personally, I likely am being watched but no warning given (yet) due to missing some work time when emergencies have occurred due to what is going on with difficult child. Like you, I have always tried to be conscientious and have done my best to avoid missing work. However, my job could be in jeopardy if I miss any more work/call off spur of the moment.

Good luck to you.

jal

I'm sorry Stef...I lost a job of 9.5 years because of it. It was done in an extremely unprofessional manner and was actually against the law. They knew it too because they paid me off and kept me covered under their insurance for another 6 months. Fortunately, I landed a new job 2 months after.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Stef,

I know how you must feel. I was a single mom, left an abusive marriage, had a difficult child out of control, and even had put him in an alternative learning school that was S UPPOSED to be able to handle him. (NOT)

This was over 13 years ago - so a 40k a year job, with expense account, my own personal interior decorator for MY new office,
company car and full paid insurance and gym privleges - was huge to me.

Due to the school NOT listening to me, and not following the IEP we had in place? I lost the job. It still stings - but you just have to let go, move on and do the best you can.

Hugs
Star