Anyone else not care for Facebook?

Jabberwockey

I have my own picture as a profile on FB but I dont have these kind of issues either. I do get the occasional random friend request but I have no problem with not friending them. Im also a lurker for the most part so dont post hardly anything accept for the occasional random, Hey! That was funny!, thing.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I love that picture of Trace. I still have fantasies of getting a GOOD picture of Thomas. He's magnificent but it seems he isn't very photogenic as he either looks asleep or stoned in most of his photos.

Squeaky, (my current avatar) looks crabby in most of her photos.

BusynMember

I love that picture of Trace. I still have fantasies of getting a GOOD picture of Thomas. He's magnificent but it seems he isn't very photogenic as he either looks asleep or stoned in most of his photos.

Squeaky, (my current avatar) looks crabby in most of her photos.
Keep trying!!!! I love Thomas! And even if Speaky looks crabby, think of all the people who love Grumpy Cat. I have a shirt with Grumpy's face on it ;) (Truth)

donna723

My Trace is a charmer alright. His looks get him out of a lot of trouble. He gets away with a lot of mischief because when I see that happy little face I just melt! I got him through the local Humane Society five years ago. Poor little guy had been through so much. He had obvious been severely abused, then (they assumed from his injuries) was tossed out of moving car and left in a state park to die. Natchez Trace State Park, thus his name. By the time he was found he weighed half of what he weighs now and was seriously ill from starvation and infection from his injuries. But in spite of all that, he's the happiest little guy! He's so open and friendly and trusting! Trace loves EVERYBODY and approaches even total strangers with that big happy smile. People can learn a lot from dogs! If anything ever happened to me, my kids would fight over who gets Trace! And GN, your kitties are ADORABLE!

BusynMember

I really admire and adore people who rescue animals. My kitty (not pictured here as camera shy) was on Craigslist. Something drew me to it. "I was babysitting for this cat, whom the owner named Kitty, and he never came back. I can't keep her anymore. She is a nice cat."
I called and she's been with us for four years now and living a nice life where she can relax, lay on soft blankets and in her bed and cube, eat well, always have water, and get affection for many people. The dogs were not rescues, but were back yard breeder dogs and unwanted so we paid to get them out of a bad sitation.

I have volunteered at the no-kill Humane Society, but had to quit. No kill or not, the endless weeks, months and years some dogs had to live there broke my heart, especially the pitbulls who were mostly so sweet and loving. I would have adopted one, but my apartment rules are under 20 lbs only.

My kids are not in positions to have pets so they know the rescue I am on good terms with who will take them for me and they have instructions to do so. I know they would if they had to. It is a rescue opened by a vet who is living her dream.

Animals do get over their own abuse (faster than WE do) and seem to know when we need their love. They love with out conditions. I admit to loving my pets more than many people I know. I know that's not supposed to be the way iti s...and some religions say pets are inferior to humans...but I don't feel that any living thing that can give love is lesser than humans (and some are superior to many humans). I know I wll get to see ALL my pets again when I pass to the next life.

My next pet (and I hate to think of that day) will be a senior rescue.

Thanks donna and GN for s haring the joy and beauty of your animals to us. Many of us really value our pets as part of our families..important ones.

donna723

Actually I didn't get Trace with the intention of keeping him. I belong to a large online Boston Terrier owners group and one of the members saw Trace on Petfinder as being in our local (kill) shelter. I just rent my house and I already had three dogs (two of them Bostons) so I figured my landlord would have fits if I got a fourth. So I pulled him from the shelter with the intention of temporarily fostering him till Icould get him in to a Boston rescue group. Then there were delays in transporting him and of course I fell madly in love with the sweet goofy little guy and there was no way I could give him up! It was more like HE adopted ME. He knew he was "home" even before I did!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, Squeaky was sort of planned. Jakey was devastated after Gryphon had to be put down.

Very lonely. I knew that I physically could not handle another GSD, and there really isn't any other breed of dog for me.

I knew Jakey was good with other cats as he had "office priveledges" at the boarding kennel he and Gryphon stayed at, and ran free in the office with the other office cats when boarded.

I was visiting the shelter I volunteered at (I do breed ID and kitten socialization) and "Yolanda" a 4 year old female tabby with a defective, chronically infected eye, that I had noted as one of the "shy ones" who had been there for months, literally ran up my leg, up my chest, threw her paws around my neck, and licked me on the nose!

I eventually came out of shock long enough to scratch her for a bit before peeling her off of me and putting her back in her cage. Once in her cage, she commenced crying and reaching her paws through the bars to grab at my hands and shirt sleeves.

Basically, Squeaky adopted me! I walked out into the front office and said, I have to go home and get a carrier, Yolanda has decided to come home with me!

She and Jakey bonded almost instantly and were inseperable. When Jakey died last year of kidney failure secondary to kidney cancer, Squeaky was at loose ends.

I knew I'd be getting another cat, but was already planning on moving back South, and had pretty much decided to wait until after the move to bring in a new family member.

I was down at the shelter and was asked to ID a cat that had come in a few days ago. He was unhandlable, "mean", and so filthy that I literally smelled him before I found his cage.

They were calling him "Tommy. I was able to ID him as a Maine Coon Cat which was corroborated by mgmt. who had his litter slip, and noted that he was matted to the skin and caked in his own waste.

The first order of business was to get that filthy, matted coat off of him. I put on a pair of leather gauntlets, got Tommy, who it turned out was not mean, but terrified, out of the cage, carried him, howling and snarling, all the way into the "treatment room", and proceeded, with the help of two other volunteers, to shave him bald and then bathe him.

"Naked" he was revealed to be an underweight, senior red or cream pet quality Coonie, with the potential to be a magnificent animal if we could ever get him to the point of tolerating being touched.

We got Tommy dried off and lined his cage with towels and blankets and put him back into it.

I thought about him all night and all morning. I couldn't get him out of my mind. I had rehabbed abused Maine Coons before, but Tommy, at nearly 11 years of age, was the oldest.

I also knew, that as fearful as he was, and at his age, he was very unlikely to get adopted, Around 9AM the next morning, I made my decision and showed up with Jakey's old oversized carrier...

That began a long saga. For 3 weeks. Thomas hid. After a few days, he began venturing out to eat and use the litterpan at night.

On rare occasions, I caught a glimpse of him as he slunk from room to room. Progress was measured by the times I could place a dish of food or bowl of water near him without getting hissed or growled at.

Then, one day, I placed a plate of food in the bathroom cabinet, and he didn't back away from me snarling. I left my hand next to the food dish and after a few minutes, Tommy lowered his head, ears still flattened, and sniffed my hand. I removed my had slowly and left him to his meal.

Later that night,I was on the computer and I heard a funny muttering noise. I looked down to see "Tommy", now renamed "Thomas" as befit the dignity of a senior cat, sitting about 5 feet away from me, just staring intently at me.

I lowered my left hand from the keyboard and let it dangle, never meeting Thomas' eyes. About twenty minutes later, I felt the brush of tickly whiskers and then the touch of a cold nose. That was followed in short order by the softness of the fur on Thomas' cheeks as he rubbed first one and then the other against my hand.

Still without meeting Thomas' eyes, I began to talk to him. Nonsense, more of the same nonsense that I'd spouted during feeding times and time spent outside hidey-holes trying to get him used to my presence, scent, and the sound of my voice.

The breakthrough moment was interrupted by Squeaky, who was not taking at all kindly to having her home invaded by this stranger, charging up, hissing and spitting, and making a credible attempt at slapping Thomas' ears off. He bolted, and I didn't see him again....until...around six am, when I woke up because my right arm had gone numb, only to realize that Thomas had crawled into bed with me, crawled under the blankets, and was sleeping plastered against my right arm and chest.

Things have only gone uphill from there. Squeaky and Thomas have FINALLY settled into a peaceful coexistence punctuated by the occasional playful or affectionate moment.

It's been a long haul, but oh so worth it. Both Squeaky and Thomas have baggage from their pasts. I'm still finding out things about them, even after 4 years in Squeaky's case.

But no-one would've wanted little Yolanda with her leaky/nasty eye until she decided she wanted me (and I hated the name "Yolanda"), and no one would've wanted a big, unhandleable longhaired cat that it took a set of bite guantlets to get out of a cage

BusynMember

I love that story.

You are a champ. My daughter has a really nasty cat who is about ten too and she is part Maine Coon. Part of the breed? She doesn't like her cat sibling and doesn't always like her littler box, but both daughter and her SO are too attached to her to let her go (and, trust me, most people would have because of her potty issues...plus they have a new baby, but they threaten yet never let her go).

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT,
Maine Coons have to be BRED for temperament and carefully socialized or they can be very timid and very much "one person" cats. Our cattery was known for the wonderful temperaments of our cats and kittens just as much as we were known for our show wins and the produce of our breeding stock.

With the burgeoning popularity of the breed in the past 15 years combined with a small starting gene pool, a LOT of inbreeding has taken place and temperament, unfortunately has fallen by the wayside in favour of type with less reputable breeders.

The timidity in Maine Coons usually shows as defensive threat, and can be frightening if not dangerous in such large, powerful cats.

In addition to that. Maine Coons are usually extremely intelligent and extremely sensitive to their surroundings and the emotions of the humans and animals with which they live. They do not do well in stressful household environments such as are often found in "G.F.G households.

When I was in the midst of the that horrible phone call with my sister late last night, Thomas was all over me, whining, rubbing, pawing, licking, and eventually trying to knock the phone out of my hand as he had identified that object as the source of my upset.

He clung to me even after I finally took an Ativan and went to bed.

Your best bet, if you want a good Maine Coon companion is to adopt one from a rescue that has been through a fostering program. This way the traumas have already been mostly dealt with, you have a good idea of the cat's temperament, and you are not contributing to the overpopulation of a breed that is winding up in shelters more and more frequently.

BusynMember

Thank you, GN. I will share this with my sister. Her cat is only half Maine Coon and started out a stray, but she is very high stress and sensitive so she has that Maine Coon thing going on.

I would love to know more about your cattery. Do share sometime.

Nomad

Staff member
Re security...years ago an old friend onFB, put up a link for all of us to check out. I almost died. I looked up myself. There was my FB photo (the little square) which was at the time, a nice photo of myself. Also, was my name, address, phone and date of birth.....all correct. I changed my FB photo to a stick figure and went back a little while later, and it was changed to a stick figure. It was like an ID, with a goofy picture. It was clearly tied into FB.

We've had crazy identity theft and I don't wish to make things so easy for the bad guys. Since then, I took off from FB my last name, my DOB is no longer visible, nor is my city. And I keep that square photo pictures of places I have visited or other revelant items, but NOT a picture of myself.

I no longer have that link. But it was obviously some place that gathers info., using FB for some of it...especially the photo, which I think they primarily get from that main one at the top that everyone can see. A cat or dog photo is purrfect.

InsaneCdn

Most people do not understand:
1) the amount of data that can be collected and cross-collaborated using computers, and
2) how much can be done with that information that is harmful to us

If you have a substantial internet footprint, it's like living in a glass house - and most people would be much more careful in a glass house than they are on the internet.

Nomad

Staff member
The only little saving grace with this thing was that it was computerized in some way.
I guess a high percentage of those photos on FB are the actual photo of the person.

When I changed the photo, the computer-robot changed it automatically, having no clue that it was no longer a human.

I learned my lesson that day to be ultra careful about what info you put on line.

And with FB, one has to frequently double check their security settings.

Californiablonde

I changed my Facebook photo to Charlie's picture a couple of weeks ago, and all of my nasty messages from strange men have completely stopped. I am so relieved. Thanks for the idea, ladies!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
So glad it worked for you, CB. Another thing to do is to make sure your Status Updates are set to 'Friends Only', and to check your privacy settings every couple of days.

Seems every time Facebook makes changes, privacy settings get screwed up and often set back to the bare minimum.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
FYI, a quick way to check your privacy settings is to go to your page, click on the 3 dots next to "View Activity Log" at the top right, and select "View As." That will show you what your page looks like to the public. If you look at the top of that page, there's a place where you can also select to view as a specific person, to check on those you've blocked.

I do this about once a week, just to be safe. FWIW, I've never had Facebook change my settings on me -- but I've accidentally changed them myself before, by making a new post public by mistake. That affects every post after that.

Edit: the above only works from your computer, no option to do this on mobile as far as I know.

Last edited: