Anyone else watch ROME?

G

guest3

OK I confess it is my guilty pleasure, LOL

I have a co-worker who told me I had to watch this series, but I was leary being I knew it was an HBO series, and that it is, there are many scenes that would normally have me hitting the stop button and some I still have FF'd through, others (blush) I have not, LOL. But the story and it's characters are AWESOME! And I just finished watching season I on DVD and Season II comes out next month. Definatley not something to watch with your kids (or parents), maybe not even your spouse LOL! And it's truly historically accurate as well.

Just wondering is anyone else shares my obsession, it has been a nice distraction from not having LOST come back until February!!!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I don't get HBO so haven't been aware of it, but if it is historically acurate could be pretty racey......Sounds interesting....

witzend

I loved it. And I judiciously played my handheld Sudoku game when it was on so that I could look away and still listen when they did graphic things to each other.

When you are finished with the series, you can read the books "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves. This was a very historically accurate novel that begins with Octavian (who becomes Augusta Caesar), his awful wife Livia, her son Tiberius, his sister Octavia, and through Caligula, to Claudius. There was a BBC series made about 30 years ago with Derek Jacobi, but it was made in the style of the day which was very like a stage play and quite dry compared to "Rome". The book is not at all so.

It seems reasonable to suggest that the choice to bring Octavian to adulthood in the series - rather than dwelling on Antony and Cleopatra - was done to snag people like me who already had an interest.