Anyone familiar with Trileptal?

LOOKING FOR SANITY

LIVING 1 DAY AT A TIME
This week the doctor took difficult child off of Abilify because it did not agree at all. Things seemed to be getting worse and worse. Now they put him on Trieptal and all I can find on it is , that it is for epilpsy. I didnt know if any one was fimiliar with it. It has come to the point that my husband is quiting his job (afternoons) for a day shift job with another company and is taking quite a pay cut. But I told him it is just too overwhelming for me here all alone every day. I feel so guilty that he is quiting his job, but I just cant take the wild mood swings everyday. And of course it is all my fault- just ask difficult child. I am just so tired. sorry for rambling.:whiteflag::whiteflag::whiteflag:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My husband takes Trileptal for seizures BUT it is also used as a mood stabilizer and it DOES have that effect on him.

My difficult child 2 just started Tegretol, the sister-drug of Trileptal (doesn't have the oxygen molecule attached to it like Trileptal does) for his mood disorder last night. It's too soon to tell if it's going to help him, but I'm hopeful!

If your difficult child is still on the stimulant, that could be making things worse if he has bipolar. Stimulants made my difficult child 2 MORE hyper, made him MORE manic, MORE irritable and just did not work the way you'd expect them to for someone with ADHD. That's because the ADHD symptoms we have seen are due to the mood disorder.

One thing you have to be careful with on Trileptal is hyponatremia (low blood sodium). I'm sure if you google it you'll find lots of info that explains why this can happen and why it's dangerous. Just something to be aware of.

You've got your hands mightily full, and your three youngest are at a very time-intensive age. Any way you can get a friend or neighbor to come over for an hour a few times a week to give you some respite? Even if it's just so you can go for a walk or take a nap to recharge your batteries. You need every ounce of strength you can muster just for five typical kids, let alone four and one difficult child!

Hang in there!

B

butterflydreams

My daughter was on Trileptal along with the Abilify for awhile until her moods were stabilized. It worked great. We Difficult Child'd the Trileptal last month because she is alot more stable and the psychiatrist wanted to see if removing the Trileptal would increase her energy. She has done great without it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole was on both trileptol and abilfy and the combination worked wonderfully to help stabilize her. It did wonders for her moods. She still had her ups and downs but it went from every few minutes to once or twice a day, then a few times a week, and so on.

Hope your difficult child does well on it too.

by the way are they sure the Adderall isn't making his behavior worse? (thinking the BiPolar (BP) direction here)

((hugs))