Anyone had endometrial ablation?

witzend

I am wondering if anyone has had endometrial ablation done? I am having some symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes and irritability, (HA!) but not others such as less frequency of periods. They still come regular as clockwork, but my PMS has significantly worsened, my cramping and bloating have worsened and I have added monthly diarrhea to the mix.

I am not a candidate for hormone replacement therapy as I have a clotting disorder with a history of clots in the lung. I am nearly 50 years old, and I'm not in the mood for 10 - 13 more years of this.

I am wondering if anyone has had this done, and if so, did anything other than your periods go away? I have been complaining to my doctor for years, and he just shrugs his shoulders and says that there's nothing I can do about it. PMDD or PMS isn't anything that they address in the literature.

Thanks in advance!

dreamer

My sister just had it done in the last 6 weeks or so. She felt good after, but has not said much about anything related to it, except that it hopefully would at least slow down her bleeding. I am not sure how much else it might do.
I have been considering asking my doctor about it becuz I have gone 4-5 months with no periods and then will got 4-5 weeks nonstop and very heavy bleeding. I have been doing this for 3-4 years and it is driving me NUTS, but, like you said, my doctor simply shrugs...I did have several ultrasounds, but thats all my doctor seems interested in doing about any of it.

Mom2oddson

I had it done. It didn't help me at all. My bleeding was worse and the pain increased even. So, after eight months of complaining - I finally got a partial hysterectomy. That took care of my problems.

I don't remember if the PMS symptoms were worse after the endometrial ablation. I just knew I was upset because it didn't help with anything.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Abbey

Spork Queen
My sister had that done a few years ago. She said it was very painful, but it leveled her out.

Personally, I have found going through this stage is my periods became VERY heavy and most with no warning. I'd be teaching a class and have to run. I'd kill for the 'less frequent' thing.

Abbey

iamstrong

iamstrong
Hi all!

I am back under a slighly different name. Changed jobs, thus new email and could NOT get in today to change it so i just re-registered.

I had the procedure done 10 months ago. Love it, highly recommend it! I did the NOVASSURE procedure. In the doctor's office. had some discomfort the day of and no probelms since! No periods, no cramps, occasional headache at that time of month. I am sooooo much easier to live with.

witzend

Thanks, all. It seems from your responses that the reactions are about as varied as what I am finding with google searches. There's info that it doesn't always work, sometimes PMS gets better, sometimes worse.

I'm sick and tired of the symptoms, not to mention having to do this every month for 35 years for no darn reason whatsoever. And the hair-trigger temper is just about more than anyone can stand.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Get a female Gyn.

Unfortunately that doesn't always help things. I had one and mentioned how bad my cramps were. She just shrugged and said, "I did too when I was 18 but they got better as I got older." The thing was, I wasn't 18, I was 28 and it wasn't just "regular" cramps. I had (have) endometriosis. I had a GP at one time who was awesome with women's health and also happened to be a man.

TerryJ2

I had it done. No results. (I had the procedure that looks like a metal rollerball pen, because it was supposed to be more effective than freezing). The surgery was easy--20 min--but I bled and bled and after 2 mo's, everything went back to the way it was, that is, heavy flow, major league cramps, major PMS. My only alternative was a hysterectomy, which was too major for me. The dr was at least as disappointed as I was; I was his only "failure." It's actually got a 90% success rate.
So now it's 3 yrs later and slowly, the bleeding is less--only 2 days and much lighter--but the PMS is still nasty.
It's good that you're looking into alternatives. You could try Xanax, and lots of napoxen sodium for the cramps.
Good luck!

AmyH

I go to a new gyn Friday. I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago and didn't have any periods at all unless they were induced by hormones. They last year I started having periods and in August I started bleeding and have never stopped. Some days is light needing only a a liner and other days it is really heavy with extreme clotting.

Paps are clear. My old gyn suggested a hyst about 4 years ago, but I wanted to keep trying for another baby. I am so sick of the pain, the cramps feel like a knife being stabbed in my ovaries. Needless to say husband is geting frustrated also.

I just hate to have a hyst because I don't want to take off work that long.