anyone have a recipe for.......

Jena

hi :)

So, my eyebrows are umm ok, my next attempt is a cake :tongue:

My grandmother, she passed several years ago, she was a part of me. Anyway, she made the most amazing chocolate layer cake. Now, the cake was white with chocolate icing.

I had it known in my head by memory yet the past few years my memory is growing worse and worse it seems.

Anyone have a good recipe they want to share?? I went to food network and I didn't feel like playing the click around game :)

Thanks!! hope everyone's day was good.:D

klmno

Yes- it's called a couple of eggs and a box of Betty Crocker cake mix and a can of Pillsbury icing. So, what is with you lately? Have you turned into "Susie homemaker, I can out-do you" woman of the year or what?

FWIW- difficult child LOVES strawberry cake, chocolate icing, and the ice cream that is cherry with chocolate chips or chunks in it. I have to admit- it is very good. But, what can I say, I don't raise my chickens to lay the eggs, I don't grow the cocoa tree (if it comes from a tree) and I don't raise a cow to produce the milk- sorry- I had to throw that out there!

I ask my mother for her spaghetti recipe and the next thing you know, I'm growing tomato plants. Which, I really wouldn't mind if I had the time. You must really be bored!!

Jena

Wow I laughed so hard when i read that, tears came to my eyes!!! :rofl:Be ware i was going to post about my truck next lol, i had a truck issue today.

You are so so funny!! Yup im going to be unibrowless (is there such a word), with cake in hand on xmas day :)

Go Jen, Go!!! :sword:

p.s. yes difficult child is sleeping again lol :holymoly: took ten tries but she's down!!!!!

donna723

I'll bet I haven't made a cake from scratch in twenty years ... it's just so easy not to!

I did have a wonderful recipe for chocolate frosting but Lord only knows where it is now. It basically involved spending about a half hour beating air into butter, chocolate, and a little sugar. And it was WONDERFUL! It would just melt right in your mouth! And it tasted exactly like ... Pepperridge Farms! Never again!

It seems like the older (and lazier!) I get, the less I want to mess with those fussy "Martha Stewart-type" recipes that start out with what kind of wheat to plant and how to grind it in to flour!

Jena

ok you guys are killing me lol. There's a story to this, i'll share. I have been trying to make this cake for about ummm 2 years now. Everytime I do it, i can't remember the recipe so it comes out like umm a paperweight!! LOL seriously. So, I told boyfriend oh yea i can bake, this and that blah blah blah. So, great now he wants to bake with me tomorrow night!!!

I can't be making a paperweight!!! He's like oh so you going to make that cake you speak of? I said umm sure I am!! no problem..............whippin it right up!! LOL

KTMom91

Here's one...

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 egg whites

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. In large bowl, blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and shortening at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add vanilla and egg whites; continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured pan.

Bake at 350 for 27 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans.

KTMom91

And for the chocolate frosting, you have two options...

Chocolate Cream Frosting

1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup chocolate syrup

In small bowl, beat whipping cream at highest speed just until it begins to thicken. Gradually add chocolate syrup and continue beating until soft peaks form. Frost cake and serve immediately and store in refrigerator.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

2/3 butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa; 2 envelopes premelted unsweetened baking chocolate; or 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted

In large bowl, beat butter and chocolate until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in vanilla and half-and-half, adding enough for desired spreading consistency.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Jen, ummm... whaddaya mean yer "eyebrows are o.k."?

Okay, nevermind. I read the other post. For a minute there, I though maybe you burned them off whilst trying to cook something in the oven.

donna723

Could you get a mix and have all the makings in a bowl already and then just start whipping it up when he shows up? Just tell him you started without him - just remember to hide the box!

Jena

:coffee:I just got up i'm slamming down my coffee and weak laughing as usual!!! You guys really make me laugh :rofl:

So, no I didn't burn my eyebrows off, yet with me ya just never know what could come of this little bake off thingy we'll have going on tonight!! One things for sure I will def. be :wine:having a drink while i do it!! Maybe that will help my chances. :)

Mary thank you!!! You got me a recipe!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a very easy, very moist chocolate cake recipe, but it doesn't work as well as a vanilla cake. I was making it from scratch at about age 10, and so far my older 2 have each made it about then.

Anyway, if you want my choc cake recipe, let me know.

mstang67chic

Going Green
No cake recipe here but the frosting using butter and powdered sugar is always a good one. I actually don't have a recipe, just kind of wing it. Start with a bag of powdered sugar and a stick of butter. Pour some of the sugar in and start beating. Add a dribble of milk and a bit of vanilla and except for the butter and vanilla, keep adding till it's the consistancy and taste that you want. For chocolate I add cocoa a teaspoon or so at a time until I get it as chocolate-y as I want it.

This is also a good frosting to use on graham crackers (minus the cocoa.....unless you like that combo). Just remember, this frosting requires refrigeration.

Good luck!

KTMom91

My mom used to frost graham crackers for us, and I remember how good they were. She used to make ice cream sandwiches using graham crackers, too. Yum.

I think I need to go get some graham crackers.