Anyone have any Morning sickness tips? LOL

DammitJanet

Actually its morning, noon and night sickness.

Poor Mandy is really having a rough time with it. If I didnt hear the actual retching I would be tempted to think she was milking it because she is also so listless and whiny but I think she is really miserable. I am suggesting what helped me which is to keep a constant supply of saltines with me and not even lift my head off the bed in the morning before eating several. For me it helped to keep at least something in my stomach constantly to absorb the hormones.

Anyone else have any tips. She is in school and attempting to work too so she needs to do something.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmmm. Your tip is actually the best one I found. Nibbling those crackers tends to do much better than eating them normally, or it did for me. And yeah, so had to be before I lifted my head from the pillow. ugh lol

Small to tiny meals throughout the day instead of the normal 3. Still do normal 3.......but she should eat small amts then too. B6 is supposed to help.......she should get that in her prenatals......I'm going to guess foods high in this would also help.

Nichole had a horrible time this time around. poor kid.

susiestar

Roll With It
There are several things that may help. You can buy bracelets called Sea Band that work on acupressure points and are astonishingly effective for some people with morning sickness. They were designed for people who spend lots of time on boats and get seasick. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sea+bands&sprefix=sea+bands

Ginger is another wonderful home remedy for nausea. The dried powder does NOT work as well, but can help. I suggest using capsules of ginger if you are going to use the powder. I never could keep a capsule of anything down long enough for it to dissolve and start working so I didn't go that route. It is more effective to use fresh ginger or ginger candy/gum. At least it was for me and most of the people I have suggested it to. Try ginger tea - get a piece of ginger from the produce dept. Cut off 1-2 thinnish slices and put them in hot water. Let sit for a couple of minutes and then drink. Real ginger is usually in the produce section near the snow peas, sprouts, etc... Here is a link to pictures of real ginger in case you don't know what you are looking for: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...1&sa=1&q=fresh+ginger&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m6&aql=&oq=

Ginger candy also is very effective. I used a brand called GinGins, but any ginger candy will work as long as it has real ginger. Here is a list of various ginger candies from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ginger+candy+ . You can also find various ginger teas but they are a LOT more expensive than buying real ginger and steeping it in hot water for a minute or three. They even sell some ginger candies, etc... that are designed to help pregnant women - they do NOT have to be ones specifically for pregnant women to help with the nausea, but som eof the items listed under "ginger candy morning sickness" didn't come up on the search for "ginger candy": http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ness&rh=i:aps,k:ginger+candy+morning+sickness

I would think that the ginger gum they have listed would be very very useful for times when it is so bad that she cannot even handle having hard candy in her mouth. You should also check out som eof the other things in the various kits on the ginger candy morning sickness search.

I know it sounds strange, but it is why gingerale is so great if you have the flu. just do NOT buy the cheap gingerale unless you see ginger on the list of ingredients. I found the candy to be FAR more effective at taming the nausea, but gingerale sure kept me from getting too dehydrated.

The other thing that helped me when I had all day every day morning sickness with thank you was potato chips. I would keep a bag around and eat a chip or two slowly. I have NO idea why it worked, and thought it was nuts to try, but a friend suggested it and dang if it didn't help a lot. You are VERY right that eating crackers or bread before she even sits up can be a huge help. My mom kept crackers on her bedside table while she was pregnant and ate 1-2 before she picked her head up. I know this mostly because it drove my dad nuts to find crumbs in the bed, lol!

Lemon, peppermint and spearmint essential oils are supposed to be aromatherapy remedies for morning sickness. You can use them individually or together. Put a drop or two of the oil or oils you want to use on a tissue or piece of cloth and keep it with you. Sniff it when your stomach gets upset and/or you smell an odor that makes you sick.

B6 is also supposed to help quite a lot. I had the hardest time keeping any vitamins down during pregnancy, so I have no idea if this works or not.

I hope this passes soon and that the remedies here help. The ginger candy/gum would be great for when she is in class or working or going somewhere.

For me- I'll give you the point of view from someone with chemo nausea, citrus fruits-even if she has to just close her eyes and think about A GLASS OF LEMONADE as hard as she can, dried cheerios straight from the box, potato chips plain or with onion dip, but really any chips. I know they're not the healthiest selections but also hard candy, just to get the awful taste out of the mouth. I have to add chocolate. Also, Campbells chicken noodle soup. It can't be another brand. This may not help, but these were my staples for the first 3 days after a treatment.

slsh

member since 1999
I feel for her, Janet. I agree with- the many *many* small meals. The crackers. I also found citrus fruits were good. Anything that smelled (just driving past McD's which is my most favorite food in the world) would set me off the. I also very carefully weighed what I ate for it's ... uh, barfability factor. Soft foods, nothing with- texture, no strong foods (tuna), etc.

She needs to watch out for dehydration, which causes nausea, which just makes everything worse. The one sure-fire cure for me was getting IV fluids. I luckily only had to do that once, but the difference it made in how I felt was nothing short of miraculous, plus it really knocked back the constant nausea.

Poor thing - hopefully she'll hit that second trimester and things will improve for her.

nvts

Yes. Don't get pregnant. You can totally avoid morning sickness that way.:bigsmile:

Hahaha! That was the first thing that popped into my mind!

I'd heard that warm (not hot) herbal tea was supposed to help.

I lucked out, I never got morning sickness with any of them - BUT during difficult child 3's pregnancy, I could smell the raw chicken at the A&P the second I walked into the store. Couldn't buy meat for about 3 mos!

Beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Emetrol.....they gave it to me over the counter.....I threw up Morning, Noon and night for about six months with Dude. Should have been my FIRST difficult child clue.

H

HaoZi

I went through a lot of those Combos snacks, bottles of TUMS (the old fashioned chalky ones, she'll need the calcium anyway), and Special K cereal. Maybe I was just lucky, I only tossed my cookies twice the whole pregnancy, both too early for a test to confirm.

J

joneshockey

I didn't have morning sickness with either of my two boys, just with this last pregnancy (a girl). It lasted the first FULL 3 months and then just disappeared. I never did find anything that worked well for me though... I lost about 10 lbs. within those first few months too. Some smells still make me nausious though (Bath and Body Works @ the mall... I can't even walk by it without turning green, any kind of fish: raw or cooked, body purfumes of any kind... including my husbands AXE spray deoderant, the list could probably go on forever- LOL!) I am just thankful that I can avoid most of the triggers by not having them in my house... unfortunately it doesn't help though when in public!

trinityroyal

With Little easy child, nothing worked. It didn't matter what I did or didn't eat, I felt seasick for the first 4 months. With the Monster Tot Twins, same routine, only the morning sickness was significantly worse. My doctor prescribed Diclectin, which is an anti-nausea medication designed specifically for morning sickness. Worked a treat.

I don't know if it'll help Mandy feel any better, but the docs kept reassuring me that the dreadful sickness was the hallmark of a healthy pregnancy.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hot, weak, plain tea - NO SUGAR. The tannic acid does something. Not sure what but it works.

Saltines are good. I love crackers without salt, but for that would have to have the salted ones. Something about the sodium (which is why Campbell's chicken soup works).

For me - white bread made me hurl any time I was nauseous, so wheat or whole-grain bread.

Be careful with peppermint and ginger - they both work, but too much of either will put her right back in the same place!

And the many small meals? Yup. Two reasons - one, keeps the body going, blood sugar on an even keel; and two? Less to come up.

DDD

Saltines before getting up and sips of ginger ale. It's been 50+ years and I still remember how awful I felt and the urgent stops between home and work. Ugh.

Someone mentioned Tums earlier. It's been a long time ago but my OB told me not to use Tums or like products as it could be a danger for the baby. Maybe they've changed the rules but thought I'd pitch that in. DDD

H

HaoZi

My OB had told me to eat all the TUMS I wanted/needed. You can't use the other antacids because they have aspirin in them, but the original chalky TUMS is just a form of calcium and flavoring.

witzend

I thought you were talking about yourself and I was going to tell you to stay away from the tequila! ;)

Saltines, plain rice, definitely some sort of electrolites to make sure that she is hydrated. Be sure that she is listening to her body, and if it is telling her to eat something in particular, to try it in a very small dose to see if she can keep it down. Poor girl....

J

joneshockey

Tums are my best friend right now & I am 7 months pregnant! I attribute ALL my heartburn issues to her growing ALL that hair that is going to be on her head at delivery!

svengandhi

In my first pregnancy, I lived on TUMS (actually carried a bottle in my bag) and Whopper, Jrs. I could not eat anything else. We used to buy a couple at the drive thru every night and H would warm one up for me in the morning. I threw up constantly, including on to the subway tracks in Manhattan on more than one occasion.

Second pregnancy, I drank diet soda constantly and it helped. Ironically, this pregnancy was my only daughter and the only child who never drinks soda!

Third (difficult child), I craved grilled cheese sandwiches. difficult child does not like cheese.

I didn't really have morning sickness with the 2 youngest.

I will say that the prenatal vitamins were what made me puke in my first pregnancy. I refused to take them after that. Once I realized that they were the reason I was puking over the subway platform every morning within a half hour after I took the vitamin, I woke up and took them earlier so I could throw up before I left home. After awhile, I just stopped taking them.

witzend

Well, I wouldn't advocate not taking pre-natal vitamins, but I do have problems with the morning vitamins I do take. I have to be sure to take them with food, or I get ill.

svengandhi

Witz -

I didn't take the vitamins because they made me so sick that I puked up the vitamins and anything else I'd eaten, which just made things worse. My care providers were on board with it being the right course for me. I could have dealt with nausea but the emesis made it difficult since I worked full-time and couldn't lie down if I felt bad. Once, I actually had to throw up in my waste basket at work and then sneak to a bathroom on a different floor to clean it out! I did take a regular vitamin instead and that didn't make me sick. I probably should have mentioned that. Oh and with difficult child, they prescribed something natural for me to take instead of the prenatal vits and it gave me a horrible yeast infection which I couldn't treat with medications for a month, until I got into the second trimester.

Overall, though, I loved being pregnant.