Anyone hear about a school walkout?

TerryJ2

I just got a recorded message that said students across the nation were planning a school walkout, but our schools took steps to ensure that it didn't happen, and everything was fine. She said that the idea spread through social media. I'm going to ask difficult child right now what *that* was all about, and I'm sure he knows that his nice-little-brand-new-driving permit would go right out the window if he tried a stunt like that.
Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything ...

Tiapet

Old Hand
Kids not home yet but if it's "through the grape vine" around here, ms emo will have certainly have heard. I'll ask. Mr busy's school is a STEM and those kids would NEVER even think of doing something like that unless it was for "practical" reasons. It would hurt them too much.

Castle Queen

Warrior in training
It's odd...difficult child commented this morning that school let out today at 2. I said, if the school didn't email/text/call about it, ain't happenin'.

TerryJ2

On FB, several people said that it is mostly parents protesting Common Core, the new nationwide standards of learning. My son didn't have a clue.
I don't think our area is going to do it ... I have to read up on it but it looks like it's got questionable items in history and social studies.

Kathy813

Staff member
When was it supposed to happen? I was home sick today but husband was at school and didn't mention anything about it so I don't think we had a large absentee rate.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about CC. The tea party here in Georgia keep saying it is dumbing down the standards. I can't speak for subjects other than math but I am teaching a honors geometry class using the new CC curriculum and it is much harder that our old standards and crams a lot more concepts into the curriculum. I am not sure I like the new curriculum but certainly not because it is dumbing down the standards or easier than our old curriculum.

~Kathy

svengandhi

What I'm nearing here is about parents planning to protest Common Core testing by keeping their kids home. Babyboy is struggling with it but I will not skip the testing.

I don't believe in walkouts and protests. My kids know better than to participate in anything like that.

We had an early dismissal yesterday to check the new alarm systems at the schools.

BusynMember

Well, nothing is circulating here, really. I say that if people don't like CC they should stay home with kids and homeschool. That way they can teach their kids anything they like, true or false. If it's the tea party that doesn't like it, I can only imagine, but would rather not know.l

svengandhi

Mine is not a Tea Party community and we generally don't like Common Core here. I don't like it, but homeschooling is not for my family. Babyboy loves the social aspects of school. I work full time and can't even trust H to get him to do his HW, let alone homeschool him. Babyboy would HATE homeschooling even more than I would.