Anyone here a health insurance person?

Star*

call 911........call 911
My Mom is sorting through insurance and I need help.

I have no idea what Medicaid Gap insurance is...it's a Quagmire....she's been paying for her own insurance for years.

Anyone willing to help us via email/phone would be appreciated. She's in Ohio. She qualifies for Medicare, but needs more and would like to have dental, and vision of some sort.

So far Humana has come out and offered her very high premiums for her age with 5% discounts only on dental and vision. Not so great.

ANYONE? Oh and I need to get this done TOMORROW....:anxious:

Thanks.

DammitJanet

Medicare Gap...I dont think that is what you are looking for.

Go online to Medicare.gov and compare policies. Gap is something else I think. What you are looking for is the Medicare supplement.

klmno

My mother had AARP to help pick up some of the slack but she said it got too expensive so she dropped it. It might be worth trying to find out how this new medical insurance law is going to effect an older person on medicaid. But then, I don't even know if they've said yet when it will take effect.

DammitJanet

Dont wait on the new health insurance...you will be waiting until at least 2013 or later.

And who knows how Medicare is going to fare in that.

Star*

call 911........call 911
This is what I'm trying to find out -

If she gets Medicare supplement insurance - will she NEED to pay for a health insurance POLICY?? If she doesn't she won't be able to get coverage again - if she does is she paying double for something she could not need?

UGH....

Janet I'll go there, but I'm not sure this is going to answer what I need to know.

Hope puppy is fine tonight.

MyFriendKita

I don't know of a penalty for not getting Medigap insurance (but I could be wrong about that), but there is a penalty for not taking Medicare Part D (the part of Medicare that covers prescriptions) when you're eligible for it. You can still get it, but it costs more the longer you go without it. I think if you're covered by other insurance at the time you're eligible, though, you aren't penalized if you put off purchasing it until you need it (until you are no longer covered by private health insurance).

DammitJanet

Star...I need a bit more info about this specific situation. There are a dozen different rules covering medicare...probably more than that and I swear you need an associates or bachelors degree just in Medicare just to understand that program!

Is this the first time she is getting Medicare? Has she had it before? Does she get medicare part B? Does she pay the 96.50 or so? If not, who does? Is she covered under another health insurance plan by say a retirement plan or a spouse?

Did she have medicaid and get dropped and is now trying to cover that coverage?

All these answers can help me define what you are trying to do.