Anyone know of dog sanctuaries or rescues in the Midwest?

BusynMember

It's breaking my heart, I'm crying. We have to find places for two of our dogs. They probably would not be adopted. One we may consider putting down, but the other one we think could be a pet one day. Thanks.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hang tight. I know there are breed specific rescues for both breeds in our area. I will contact them and ask them for contacts closer to your area.

Hugs hugs hugs. Share the story, if you like.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I agree with Shari. I have adopted pups who were in specific breed rescue. They have good lives.

Tell us more about them. How old each one is? tell us a bit about their personalities and why you love them.

It will make you feel better and you just never know.

donna723

MWM, I am so sorry! You must be just heartbroken!

I'm part of an online Boston Terrier group and there are many, many people on there that are very involved with rescue. I asked if anyone knew of a rescue group or no-kill shelter in your area that takes Chihuahuas and/or Cockers. If there is one, these people will know about it. If they come up with something, I'll let you know.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I got a reply all ready!
They are in Monticello, but the person I talked to said to contact them, they will often help with transport, if needed.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They said there are other cocker rescues in WI, but this is a good place to start.

Good luck!

BusynMember

Shari, this isn't a valid e-mail address. I tried to write. by the way, thanks, thanks, thanks!!! We'll drive them ourselves if there is a good place. Is there a phone number I can call?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Rescues are wonderful. Often they'll take mixes of a particular breed as well. We've found several homes for wonderful strays with the help of rescue groups.

I'm sorry you have need of finding new homes for your furbabies.

Hugs

BusynMember

Rescues basically are not taking surrenders. If I lived near a rescue I would leave my chihuahua in his little house with a note. I know they'd take him that way.

The chihuahua has to go soon. But now I have high hopes that I can find him a loving home. This was my grown daughter's dog, and she promised to take him when she moved out, but of course that never happened and her SO is scared of him...lol. He's an ankle biter. He's NOT an easy dog so he needs a special place.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, Petfinder is a great place!

I have to leave and will be back around 10...I'll try to get some different contact info!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The didn't have any other contact info, but she googled cocker rescue wisconsin and said she came up with several.

Wish I could do more! I can keep looking for you! If there is something I can do, let me know!

BusynMember

Shari, thank you for your trouble. I appreciate it so much.

My daughter's friend walked into our house without knocking and the dogs all jumped on her and the cocker is hyper so he SCRATCHED her. The cocker has nine inch nails--didn't they have a band by that name???? Even when they're just cut, his nails are long. But she told the school nurse he bit her and since the "nurse" is probably a "health aide" she didn't notice that there were no teeth marks, and she called the police and got the ball rolling. Well, after the girl confessed, we decided to try to work with the hyper cocker, crate him when people are over, and see.

The chihuahua has to go though. We're one dog over the ordinance limit and now we are "on their radar." She didn't see the chihuahua because the other dogs pick on him so he is in another room. This dog would be happier in another home. So right now the plan is to keep Rufus the Dufus (as we call our cocker) and rehome Scooby. However, it's not an emergency. We want to find a good place. Because of the economy, the rescues are completely filled. So it may take time, but we'll do right by our boy. We are animal lovers to the max and, in the end, our dogs are precious to us, like family.

Star*

call 911........call 911
MWM,

I just wanted to send you a huge hug or two or 1,000,000. I know this hurts and wanted to tell you I'm really sorry.

Craigslist seems to have pretty good luck here - with getting kids rehomed.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Most rescues will let you be the "foster home" for the dog while they try and find them a permanent placement. They'll put his pics and info on their website to try and find him a new home. I hope you can find a breed specific rescue near you - keep in mind that they often cover large areas. My furbaby came from a rescue in Raleigh but they saved her from a kill shelter in Georgia.

Good luck!
Genny

BusynMember

Thanks to one and all. I found a rescue near our home (about an hour away) that I never knew existed. The lady I spoke with said they are full, but that since Scooby is a small dog and she has waiting lists of approved families for chihuahuas she will take him and that he should get a home fast. I gave him a bath and washed all his things and I'm bringing them with tomorrow. It is going to cost us $100 to surrender him there, but I'd rather do that than take him to the humane society or try to find a home for him alone. I trust the rescue more. I've seen rescues in action and they are truly animal lovers. We may even be able to talk to his adoptive parents if they are willing to call us.

So all's well that ends well. I know I'll cry when we bring him tomorrow though :(

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's awesome news. I'm glad it worked out. Hopefully the new "parents" will give you a call, too, and let you know.