Anyone know the going rate???

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I have a young lady who'd like to come in & help out with housework & laundry & such around my house. She's not in a company - she's a former PCA, a poor college student looking to supplement her income.

She's always been a good worker here when she worked with kt; has had a background check & I trust her implicitly. In fact, if she were still working with the PCA firm she'd be back in my home working with kt. The sad fact is that most of the PCAs leave because they aren't paid enough - earn more money working service counters at coffee shops or waitressing.

Having said that, I'd like to utilize her homemaking services a few hours a week. What is the going hourly rate for housekeeping? Do any of you have a clue?

meowbunny

Back when I had a housekeeper, the rate was $50 for four hours, $20/hour for anything over four hours. I now do some housekeeping for others and charge the same rates. If I have to do windows, that is an additional $2.00 per window, $5.00 for sliding glass doors. It is very rare to work over four hours, even when washing the linens.

Lothlorien

I would ask her what she was looking to make. Think about what you are willing to pay her, too. Perhaps you can negotiate. If you are only willing to pay so much, perhaps offer her that and then offer her extra to do extra things.

Make a list of things you'd like done every week. Then make a list of things to work on one week at a time, like organizing a closet one week (above and beyond the basic housekeeping). Then you can pay her extra for those things.

You may be willing to pay $20. an hour, but she may only be expecting $15. Or she may want $20. but you can only pay $15. Negotiate a little with her.

Sue C

When Melissa worked for Merry Maids, I think they were only paying her $6.50/hour, if I remember correctly. My mom has a friend who has a professional cleaner (on her own--a one woman business) come in, and she charges $18/hour, but that woman even cooks meals and drives her to doctor appointments.

I would think your "poor college kid" would be grateful to receive $10/hour. That's my humble opinion. Melissa is 22, working full time as a receptionist and only earns $7/hour.

Hope this helps,
sue

crazymama30

I am a broke college student who has a housekeeping job. I am not a "traditional" college student. I charge 15$ per hour, I am usually at the home about 1.5-2 hrs, and he gives me 40$, which is more than I would charge. I think a lot of it depends on the area you are in. I would try to nab this gal if you know she is a hard worker and you trust her. Those are very important factors, in my humble opinion.

Sue C

I think a lot of it depends on the area you are in.

Oh, this is very true!! I don't think the midwest where you and I live pays as nearly as much as out East or out West.

The more I'm thinking about this, the more I think you just need to decide what you can really afford and then offer that amount to this girl and see if she'll take it. She can always come back with a higher amount, and maybe you could stretch your offer a little higher.

sue

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Linda

My mother in law pays about 70.00 for about 3-4 hrs work. This includes everything except windows and laundry. Until your post I thought my mother in law notoriously over pays. I know she does for around here. Her opinion on that is that it's hard work and being overpaid helps keep 'em honest. lol

I'd ask the girl what she expects to get paid and sort of work it out from there. Since she's not with a company it might not be as expensive. And the two of you can negotiate price based on the things you'll need her help with.

Hugs

dreamer

when I worked as a CNA at an agency and did homemaker services, the agency billed me out to clients at between $20-30 per hour, paid me 25% to 30% of that amount. Part of the advantage for me going thru an agency was in case you accused me of something, the agency backed me. Part of the advantage to the client for going thru the agency was level of accountability and if I was absent from work, someone else might show up as a fill in?

BUT where I worked I had to sign an agreement that I would not go free lance and work for any of the clients I had worked for thru the agency. Our clients also had to sign paperwork saying they would not hire any of the employees until x time had passed. (and the employee was no longer employed by the agency)

Star*

call 911........call 911
$10/hr - $12/hr sounds fair for a 90 day trial period. Are you going to take out taxes and junk? If not - I would see if you can get a local disability agency to send someone out - and pay them so they handle comp/taxes etc. IF (big IF) but IF she were to get hurt helping you - think about what you would loose.

You may think to call your homeowners insurance and see what is a good idea.

Is she bonded/insured? Do you know her? Does she have prior references?

I co-owned a Merry Maids and even 17 years ago - my girls made $6.50/hr. We dumped MM and opened our own business and I paid the girls $10 and bought their cleaning supplies, took out taxes and had comp.

Something to think about.

Kathy813

Staff member
I have a housekeeper that comes every two weeks. She spends approximately 2 hours and does basic housecleaning (dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing bathrooms, washing floors) including changing the sheets but does not do laundry. We pay her $75 each visit which is less than local cleaning services charge.

My friend pays her housecleaners (a two women team) $115 per visit for the same basic services for the same size house. Another friend pays her housekeeper $85 per visit. So it varies depending on the person you use.

I would think that the amount not only depends on where you live but also on the size of your house and any extras that you want done.

I would just ask the girl how much she would charge and see if it fits in your budget.

~Kathy

trinityroyal

The going rate in my area depends on what kind of service you are looking for.
For an independent housekeeper, the rate is from $10 to $12 per hour, and some charge as high as $15 per hour. For a service, such as Molly Maid, the rate is much higher (usu. $25 to $40 per hour, depending on the number of hours, number of cleaners they send out to the location, etc.)

I think something like $10 per hour would be fair. I also like Kathy's suggestion about figuring out what fits into your budget, and talking to the girl about how much she wants.

All the best,
Trinity

dreamer

the thing star mentioned- those are some of the things I was thinking about.
Yes, foregoing an agency is usually a LOT cheaper- BUT......there are more risks involved, just like working without an agency is more lucrative, there are risks involved.
Be certain you understand the risks.

I know here sometimes an agency called DORS will pay someone to come help with some of the things you are thinking about. Not always, but sometimes.At my most ill, I still never did figure out how to go about getting such help here.....altho thru WRAP for my oldest difficult child, we did get homemaker services- for what THAT fiasco was worth - (yeesh, they came in and first thing- decided to "clean" my china cabinet, emptied it out and decided it was the end of shift, they left and left everything out all over the place! and then noone EVER came back- various excuses offered- could not find our house, we told them not to come back (a lie) noone was home (another lie) etc)

Most insurance companies do NOT pay for such services.....altho sometimes you can try and see if yours does?
You could also check into a HS girl to come in and do what needs to be done under your guidance, teach her the things you want done and have them done the way YOU show her or tell her?

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know - I was thinking about a customer we had YEARS ago that was disabled and a state agency paid for us to come out and clean her home - it was also roach infested so we declined to come and clean until the problem was taken care of and the department of disabilities and special needs took care of that too.

I want to say that Travelers Insurance paid for it.....her's may have been workers comp related but her son was low IQ and her husband was low IQ and a drunk.

Maybe (just maybe) your insurance will pay for that service IF your doctor approves it????

Thinking out loud.

Hugs
Star

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks for pointing out the very valid concerns; also some of the resources I may need to access.

husband's company has some benefits for long term care - he believes that homemaking may be one of them. husband will be checking in with his HR representative today.

All I was trying to do was get a semi clean home & help a struggling college student by offering her $10-15/hr for a few hours a week work. As a former PCA we know her fairly well & would feel no qualms having her back in our home.

I have more research to do - husband will be checking into his company's benefits as well.

Penta

I am glad you will have some household help. You deserve it and need it so your body can rest and recover. I think the rest will do your body good. Let someone else do the housekeeping, laundry and heavy work. You continue on with your painting and resting and give your body a chance to build back strength.

Take care.