Anyone know where to purchase leather braces?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I fell off my horse 6 weeks ago and have done something to my wrist. Trying to hold off on the MRI, etc, and see if it improves. With bracing, it has improved some, but I am allergic to the synthetic material the brace is made from. I've paddded it with socks and vet wrap and ace bandages, but its just not enough - I have to find a brace I'm not allergic to (and re-grow the skin on the majority of my wrist).

Anyone know of a place that sells leather or cotton braces or splints? Like th old kind that you had to lace up?

klmno

We have specialty type stores here that sell PT type stuff and crutches, wheelchairs, and things like that. I can't remember how they are listed- I would call your local pharmacy and ask them. I hope you find one and feel better soon!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I just spent 2 hours at 3 different pharmacies with no luck. I ended the trip at the saddle shop I go to...if I can't find something, he'll make it, but it won't be cheap and ins sure won't pay for something from a saddle shop...I know I'm not the only person in the world allergic to neoprene and such...surely there's something out there.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Somewhere around here I have a cotton brace that velcros. It has a metal insert to help keep the hand/wrist in a stable position and was very comfortable. I believe that I originally got it at the doctor's office but I'm sure there are pharmacy's or medical supply houses that would carry them. Google it like Jal said and I would bet you could find something to have shipped fairly quick.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I googled the cotton brace and most of those are still synthetic...but I did find the good old canvas lace-up one on one site...but its a manufacturer and they don't sell to the general public. I've called my pharmacy to see if she can buy from them, and left messages at a couple of others that deal with orthotics to see if they can.

Knock on wood.

klmno

Ohh- I wasn't specific- I meant I would call a pharmacy and asked where you could get one, not that they would have one. But if yyou've gone to that many you probably already tried that.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I emailed this manufacturer now to see where their retailers are. The pharmacies around here aren't "contracted" with them...

Sheesh.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
She didn't have anything that wasn't synthetic either. (and just for the record, I may be able to get by with something that's synthetic, but I've tried two, now, and I can't wear either one...I'd rather go with something I know I can wear as opposed to spending more money on something I don't know - I'm out $100 already on this little endeavor).

DammitJanet

I have an ankle one that is cotton with the lace ups. Try calling an ortho doctor and asking if you can get one through them. Its actually a durable medical equipment supply but my ortho doctor carries them in his office.