Anyone make "white" chili?

LittleDudesMom

Hi All - I am having a very casual Christmas gathering in two weeks and am planning on serving chili with the fixings (jalapeno corn bread, corn kernel cornbread, and toppings for the chili - sour cream/greek yogart, chopped green onions and cheese).

We don't really eat much ground beef in our house - we love ground turkey. So I was going to do a huge pot of turkey chili. I've gotten a couple "traditional" red chili recipes but was wondering if anyone does the white turkey chili?

My understanding is cannelini (instead of black or kidney) beans and chicken stock (instead of tomatoes) as the base. Anyone ever tried it or does anyone have a good turkey chili recipe they are willing to share?

Like I said, this is a really casual gathering of close friends and we are planning on gathering in my family room, rather than the more formal living room. I figure I will just leave the pot on the stove and folks can eat when they want. I thought I would also do some mulled wine in the crock pot. I have games for after dinner and everyone will dress casually. Rememer that I've had three formal dinner parties the last three Saturdays and am ready for a casual/friendly gathering!

I appreciate any recipes you would like to share......

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
i do'nt have a recipe but someone at work makes it and its wonderful and is as you describe! hope you can find a recipe.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I made a wonderful chili using tomatillas, roasted poblano chilis & I believe pork tenderloin ~ won a chili cookoff. I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not. I'll see if I can find my recipe.

Mom2oddson

My family loves Chili - red or white.

Here's my White Chili Recipe (it calls for Chicken but you can substitute turkey)

White Chili

Olive Oil
Cut up Chicken meat
Onion
Chicken broth
large can dices green chillies
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp cumin (I go heavier but I love cumin)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cilantro
1/8 tsp cayenne
1-2 cans white beans (more if you want. Sometimes I do a variety white and pinto)

Saute chicken and onions in olive oil until chicken is almost done.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Top with cheese. and/or sour cream, green onions, avocados, black olives...

LittleDudesMom

Yum -

HaoZi - I did look some recipes up online and found the first one! Just wondered if anyone had a tried and true one....

Linda, love to get yours if you can put your fingers on it - and, we haven't talked in a while and are "due" a good long conversation......

Mom2, your recipe is similar to a couple I found and one called for THREE cans of chillies!

I might just go the traditional red version but with turkey instead of beef.....not sure.....

Thanks ladies!

Sharon

H

HaoZi

I thought a white one with red and green peppers in it sounded festive.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
White Chicken Chili is one of my favorite recipes. I don't see any reason why you couldn't substitute turkey instead. This is a double batch...I always make a bunch and then freeze single servings for later. YUMMY!

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut up
1 very large onion, chopped
32 oz. chicken broth
3 1/2 teaspoons (or to taste) ground cumin
4 teaspoons (or to taste) chili powder
2- 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, drained
2 cans corn, drained (or one bag frozen)
4 - 14 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained. I usually smash (using a potato masher) one can of the beans to thicken the sauce a bit.
Pepper to taste

(The original recipe called for jalapeno chiles but they are too hot for me. Feel free to add, according to your taste)

Saute onion until clear. Add everything else, adjust seasonings, simmer for a little bit, then serve.

Done!

Suz

Last edited: