Anyone read this?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Lothlorien, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

The Wally Lamb book "The Hour I First Believe"? I know it's a popular read....However, one of my friends said she was pretty bored with it. I'm wondering if it's worth ripping the 20 cd's onto my computer so I can listen to it.

What else are you reading this summer?
  2. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

I have this book that I bought simply because his book "This Much I Know Is True" really was wonderful and spoke to me.
    I have not started it yet. It's part of the pile of 4 or 5 that are waiting for me.

Now, I have started "The Monster of Florence" which is a true story. It has started well. I'll let you know how I like it.
  3. Mattsmom277

Mattsmom277 Active Member

Fran, I read that one too and it spoke to me as well.
    I am not up to date on new release/popular current novels. Hope to hear if the latest W. Lamb is worth it. I enjoy the way he writes.
  4. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

I read The Hour I First Believed. I thought it was a really good book! I think I read it over winter break. To me it was definitely worth the read!

I've been reading a lot this summer but can't remember all the titles. I'll think a bit and post about what I've been reading.
  5. goldenguru

goldenguru New Member

I am just about finished with "A Map of the World" by Jane Hamilton. It's a good summer read.
  6. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

I just finished My Life in France by Julia Child. Bought it in Cleveland. I really want to see Julie & Julia, opening Friday I think.

Other than that, I've just been reading for the review site.
  7. Star*

Star* call 911

I would like to propose - a Book Club------here on the CD board.

I would have a LOT more interest in reading a book if I had someone to discuss intelligently with after reading....

Any thoughts???

I promise I will NOT pick - encyclopedias when it's my turn to
  8. Nomad

Nomad Guest

I'm not sure about a book club on the cd board, simply 'cause I haven't had much time to read a lot of "regular" books...although I still buy non fiction and read "choice" paragraphs.

I can't wait to see Julia and Julia. Is it really coming out this Friday????? :confused::D
  9. Shari

Shari IsItFridayYet?

I'm in on the book club! I'd love that.
  10. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

In Social Groups there is a book group, but everyone seems to forget about the social groups.

I decided to trade in the Wally Lamb book and I got a book called "A Yellow Raft in Blue Water." It's a smaller book (only 12 CDs). I forgot that I still have a couple of books that I've ripped and haven't listened to yet. I just started Rumor Has it by Tami Hoag....but I think it's more of a romance novel. I'm not really into romance novels, but since I've already started it, I'll finish it.

I also got Exit Music by Ian Rankin. I have heard he's a good writer. I don't recall reading any of his books yet.
  11. compassion

compassion Member

I am reading the Sololist and read A Gift of Grace.
    I would love to be on this book club. The Watercooler seems more accessible to me than the social groups. Who wants to propose the first book?
  12. goldenguru

goldenguru New Member

I'd be all in for a book club. A book a month perhaps??
  13. compassion

compassion Member

A book a month sounds realistic. Although I know I am flexible if someone (including me :) cannot keep up due to family stress :) I love to read though and love the idea of discussing with others. There are a number of book clubs in my community but I feel this format would be more flexible for me currently. I would also like it generally to be nonparenting oreinted :)