Anyone reading lately?

DDD

I haven't read a book in four months and it was great to chill alone again. Just for fun I'd recommend The Witness by Nora Roberts. Not rocket science but an interesting new novel. Hoping some of you have suggestions for the next one...I'm in the groove. DDD

Mom2oddson

Being in a carpool, I'm getting a lot more reading time in. I just finished the "Mudbug" series by Jana DeLeon. It's light, funny with a little mystery...and it was very cheap. I tend to buy my e-books off the cheap/free list. That way I can justify buying my favorite authors at full price.

I'm in the middle of Kay Hoopers "Haven". It's a paranormal mystery.

After that, I will be reading Catherine Coulter's newest book "Backfire"

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
In the middle of "Cat in a White Tie and Tails" by Carole Nelson Douglas.

Midnight Louie, a black cat with a tude and a brain, is her main character, supported by: Temple Barr, a petite but feisty redhead PR person; Matt Devine, an ex-priest turned talk show phenom; and Max Kinsella, an Irish magician trying to stop the IRA... In Las Vegas.

The books all stand alone but I've been reading them in order... I actually picked one up because its neon-pink cover with a cat grabbed me... And I have loved Louie ever since!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Latest in Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series........... Odd Apocalypse. Haven't finished it yet. I'm doing it snippet style. A snippet here, a snippet there. lol

witzend

I finally got around to reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" a few weeks ago, and this week I started "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban". It's about as much as I can handle right now. ;)

SuZir

I'm currently middle of Hoda Barakat's The Stone of Laughter and I can recommend. Not light reading, but good. It's a bit older book, written in early nighties and set to Lebanese civil war. It brings to my mind also Sofi Oksanen's novel Purge that is set to Estonia from WW2 to early nighties. Not a light read, in fact rather horrible at times, but I really liked it. My other summer reading has included Adam Thirlwell's The Escape. That too I enjoyed.

In lighter reading I tend to enjoy my Swedish mystery novels, Camilla Läckberg being my current favourite and some nonsensical chick lit. Sophie Kinsella's newest I've Got Your Number was funny and enjoyable.

Trpl

I'm new here, so I've been reluctant to reply to anyone's posts but this one is just my kind of thread. I'm an avid speed reader. Right now I'm hooked on a series by JDRobb (who is Nora Roberts) called the "death" series. It's a futuristic homicide detective (Eve Dallas) mystery series. As it's Nora Roberts there is plenty of romance with out alot of well....smut is what I call it. Nora has gone really deep into this series and thought of everything. You really feel like you are there, in the future. It's worth the money to buy, but check your library for anything by JDRobb with "in death" in the title. The very first one is "Naked in Death"

DDD

Welcome to the thread. Alot of our members are avid readers. Before raising a herd of kids I used to read at least a book a week but :sigh: now I go in short spurts, lol. on the other hand I do make notes when these threads appear so I know what to aim for at the library. I had no idea JDRobb and Nora Roberts were one in the same. Probably the only one here who didn't. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Trpl, welcome!!! And Eve Dallas just rocks. Doesn't everyone want a Roarke?! Read 'em all... I think...

Other good murder mystery authors: Robert Crais, Robert B. Parker, Janet Evanovich, Elizabeth George, William Burkhart (sp???), Mary Higgins Clark, Lillian Braun, Faye Kellerman, Jonathan Kellerman... OK. I like murder mystery...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:geek:Hey Triple D!

I've been reading the classics on my Kindle because they are free! I am currently reading the Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. Over the past 4 months I've enjoyed Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens and Howard's End by E.M. Forster. I forgot just how fun the classics could be.

Dad read the Count of Monte Cristo in high school so he & I have been discussing it on a regular basis. In fact, he went to the library, checked it out so we could have our own little book club. :geek:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I forgot to mention that I happened to be lucky enough to pick up a copy of Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I can't wait to read it, have no clue if I'll like it or not but will probably enjoy the "history" aspect of it for the time frame regardless.

muttmeister

It's been so hot here that I've been doing nothing but sitting by the air conditioner reading. I read 20 books in June, 18 in July, and 8 so far in August.
I, too, like murder mysteries. I've gone back and been reading the Spencer novels by Robert Parker. I especially enjoy the references to Pearl the Wonder Dog. Read a bunch of Flannery O'Connor: wasn't impressed. Our bookclub read Gone Girl. It was pretty good. Just finished David Baldacci's The Innocent; he's always good. Read Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions: much better than I expected (don't know for sure what I expected. Been reading some Robert Ludlum. He wrote two books (The Road to Gandolfo and The Road to Omaha) that were hilarious; not his usual. Read Doctor Zhivago: I'm slogging my way down the list of 1001 books you must read before you die. Lots of others in my "to be read" pile but we are supposed to get a cool spell for a few days so maybe I will actually get up and move and save some books for later.