Anyone see Super Nanny tonite?

DammitJanet

They had a family with 3 kids on there and the oldest was ADHD. The nanny really worked hard on helping the parents work with the little boy on figuring out methods to help improve his world. She explained to the mom exactly what it was like to have ADHD and how to best work with the boy on homework.

She also advocated a more explosive child approach to discipline for this child than she normally does. She explained to the parents that they cant expect that a child who has impulse control issues and is so easily distracted to be able to be disciplined like an age related peer.

It was quite a good show.

Liahona

I saw it. She had the mom write postive things on a poster with the ADHD kids picture on it, so that when she was having a hard time not taking it personally she could look at the picture and remember why she loves her little boy. She also really got after dad to step up and not have mom do all the work.

DammitJanet

True Emily...

She is always quite good about having BOTH parents remember that it took two to make the kids and they are partners in parenting. I loved the idea of writing all the good points about the child on the poster board. It really helped the mom step outside herself and see that the child was more than his behaviors.

Lothlorien

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> She had the mom write postive things on a poster with the ADHD kids picture on it, so that when she was having a hard time not taking it personally she could look at the picture and remember why she loves her little boy.</div></div>

I saw that part. I got a little teary eyed. I get so annoyed with Missy sometimes and it's hard to like her, cause she's so annoying and takes so much of my time and energy. It's easy to forget the good things. I think I need to implement that technique.

DammitJanet

Super Nanny is an ABC show. Its on here on monday nights but it may change soon since Dancing with the Stars is due to start.

TerryJ2

Wow. That's very different from the usual kids and approach. Sounds like somebody put a bug in the producer's ear. :whistle:
Glad she had a good approach and good advice. :cool: