Anyone Seen Dr. Phil's Brat Camp?

Christy

I was expecting something along the line of Nanny 911 (where all their problems are solved in 60 minutes) but there are a few actual difficult children on this show. It will be intersting to see if Dr. Phil has any impact on two of the kids.

Lothlorien

I gave up on watching Dr. Phil a long time ago. I really despise it when people say to me....Oh, I wonder if you should call Dr. Phil....Maybe he could help Missy. I just want to slap those people upside the head.

TerryJ2

I just watched my first episode. My easy child called me in because she said I'd be interested. We had a few "aha" moments of recognition in reg. to difficult child. :)
Turns out we do everything we're supposed to. easy child and I gave ea text item a thumbs up when it flashed on the screen. I was actually glad that easy child saw that stripping a kid's room is an okay thing to do, because she was very judgmental when we first did it and you know how teenagers accept TV as a sort of validation ... :)

He doesn't say anything that other professionals don't already say, except that he does bring in the parents and give it to them straight.

One mom had lost her daughter to a brain tumor and was so busy grieving that she totally ignored her son, who turned into a monster and refused to show his emotions, except to be demanding and bossy and rude. He thought he was supposed to be tough. He finally admitted he didn't want to cry in front of his mom. Dr. Phil told her she created him and it was her responsibility to work it out, and he gave her and the other moms some tools that we use here.

I had to chuckle at the suggestion to "catch your kids doing something right." It's the same thing our dog obedience instructor told us about our fear-biting dog! It's especially hard when you've gone for months seeing only bad things happen. You scrimp and find one teensy good thing and feel silly praising it, but boy, does it work!

The others just yelled too much and needed to step back and enforce the rules instead of giving up and walking away because it's too hard.

Two had no husbands (no background info, just noticed that there were only two dads on the show who were workaholics, ergo, never home) and the moms had it very rough and Dr. Phil didn't say a word about anger issues or any background info, he just gave the moms the tools they needed.

I get tired of the camera cuts--the fast motion literally makes my eyes and head hurt--and I get tired of all the clips from yesterday and tomorrow, not to mention the commercials, so I'll stick with-Dr. Rosemond, who isn't as into formal theatrics. I've always been a book person, anyway. :)

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmm reading you post I have an image of difficult child II sitting on Dr. Phil's head beating him senseless :faint:, I wish I could say I am being funny, but I am being serious. he has that authorative tone that brings out the "best in difficult child II

KTMom91

I was amazed at the little darling who slapped his mother...and of course, Miss KT had to ask what I would do if she did that to me. I calmly told her I would break her arm and then call CPS and report myself.

Christy

I was hopind Dr. Phil would offer these families ongoing counseling when they returned home. I am sure the mother and the boy who slapped her will need a lot of therapy to overcome what they have been through. Unfortunately, I don't the kid will make much progress, he really seems to thrive on emotionally abusing his mom.

tinamarie1

In my opinion, the mother of the kid who slapped her seems like she has a ton of built up anger and resentment towards her son. Like Dr. Phil suggested to her, she is making that kid suffer because he is alive and her daughter died. Have you noticed the way she talks to her son? constantly dropping the "f" bomb when she speaks to him, and she doesn't speak in a normal tone, its always up in his face and yelling at him. I know that what I give difficult child is going to be a reflection of what he gives back to me. If I did that, it would send him into a complete rage.

crazymama30

I just do not like Dr. Phil much, he has become too much like Jerry Springer and the like. I do not have time to watch anyways. Do not care much for the Nanny 911 shows either. I just do not get why people want to air their dirty laundry.

TerryJ2

I think in this case, they really wanted and needed help. The one mom who was slapped had some serious issues. (Ironically, her son said so behind the scenes, totally ignoring that he has at least as many issues.)
There is ongoing counseling that happens after the show but it's not with-Dr. Phil, it's some referral svc.

This (below) is not the brats show, but it's a related link I found. I'm sure you have to pay, but I'm guessing that the guests on TV get it for free for a while:

"With the combination of online dating, provided by Match.com, and Online Therapy, provided by MyTherapyNet.com (through DrFrankOnline.com), people can now connect with themselves, as well as with each other. Match.com members who have purchased the Dr. Phil's MindFindBind service may access MyTherapyNet.com therapists for counseling online or by telephone. 'Making yourself right is the first step in finding Mr. or Ms. Right', states Dr. Derrig-Palumbo. Dr Phil will provide general advice through MindFindBind, while MyTherapyNet.com will provide individual counselors to give specific advice one-on-one to those users who desire personalized help."

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't get many TV channels so I haven't seen this show. I do know that Dr. Phil is not my favorite. Some people seem to need his bluntness, but it isn't the right approach with everyone. I also don't think I have ever hear him say anything that any other therapist hasn't said. They all seem to say the same things.

Susie