App for those with android phones...free app

DammitJanet

Billy showed me this app and put it on my phone and I think it would be good for anyone with kids. Its called Life360. It shows all the sexual offenders in your area. It also shows police departments, fire departments and hospitals.

Also, if you install this software on your phone and the phone of any other person (say your child!) , you can see where they are at all times. And if any of your family is also on Life360, you will be able to see where they are. So I can see where Billy is right now (in his bedroom) and he will always be able to see where I am. We have sent this to Jamie for them and they will be able to see our phones at all times.

Obviously none of you are in my family so I wouldnt be able to see you...lol.

I do think this could be handy for those of you who would need to be able to keep up with a teen and you could make sure he/she is really in school or at the mall or wherever they are supposed to be.

Mattsmom277

Very good app! Just checked and it Is available for iPhone too. Going to install it on my Phone and for s/o. I'll be mentioning it to Matt too. Thanks Janet!

DammitJanet

Wasnt sure if there was a version for Ios but normally if they have one for the android marketplace they do have it for apple too.

InsaneCdn

Sorry, Janet - difficult children are just TOO smart for that one.

1) he'd find a way to disable the app
2) he'd conveniently leave the phone in his locker at school and THEN go to the mall

The app is great if you need to track someone who WANTS to be tracked. For example, a slightly forgetful older member of the family.... say, someone old enough to be a grannie... its fun for the grandkids to keep an "eye" on grannie, and if grannie does happen to forget where she is or where she was going, she knows the rest of the family can find her.

Its got good uses... but I don't think tracking difficult children is gonna be one of them!

DammitJanet

The kid doesnt even have to know its on there. There are enough apps on most of these phones that if you didnt know what it did and what it was for, they wouldnt even notice it. It runs pretty silently in the background unless you tell them.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Very interesting. Wish I'd had this when my kids were teens, especially Youngest. Sure, some difficult children are smart enough to work around it, but to me that's pretty simple, make it a condition of having a cellphone. Disable the app? Lose the cellphone. Definitely worth a shot.

From a personal perspective? I don't want my kids knowing where I am at all times just yet lol. I can always announce that on Foursquare if I want :p

DammitJanet

lol....I dont think I have foursquare. Is that the one where you connect with facebook? I think Billy likes to know where I am because he worries about me ya know? After me being sick and him finding me. I dont have a big problem with it and I can disconnect that portion of it if I wanted to. The biggest part of this thing is knowing about the sexual offenders and the fire depts and hospitals if you are going into a new area. Like if I was visiting a new town and didnt know where a hospital or police station was...this would tell me. It also shows you the exact address and phone number.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Travis used this app to discover there are two pedophiles right at Darrin's bus stop. Lovely. I told him to message her about it but I'm going to bring it up in the morning too.

InsaneCdn

<shudder> There are, of course, two sides to the story. An app like this just begs for being spoofed. Its gonna happen. All sorts of "false alarms" are tagged, to the point that the original info gets "lost" in the volume. Or someone figures out how to put the actual location "out" by a certain distance... so people only think they know where you are... or so YOU think people know and they really don't...

Sorry. I don't trust computers. AT ALL.
No, rephrase that. I don't trust PROGRAMMERS.
Especially not those writing code for PCs and wireless devices... and the internet.

Devious, twisted minds, those are.

(Like any other industry, there is a "dark" side to programming. Some insiders know about it, some don't. I'm just twisted enough that I can see where these things are likely to end up. Avoided learning how, on purpose... its just too temptin!)