appendicitis? difficult child is sick...

klmno

difficult child missed half of school this week-intermittently. I thought it was due to his cycling and taking advantage- whatever. Anyway, He had a fever of 99.2 this morning and 99.9 just a few minutes ago. He says his throat hurts and his stomach hurts and he thinks he might be coming down with strep. His glands at his neck do not feel swolen to me. He said he couldn't eat more dinner because the whole left side of his stomach area hurts. I never had appendicitis (sp) so I'm not sure if this could be it or not. Does someone know the symptoms?

Here I made a rush psychiatrist appointment and took an appointment time that someone else had canceled on for first thing Mon. morning and now it appears to be a real physical illness..... will I ever get this right? SIGH....

Andy

I am so sorry! My kids get lots of sore throats that have never turned into strep. I don't know about the stomach pains and fever with it. You can call ER and go over the symptoms with a nurse.

If it is appendicitis, you want to treat it ASAP.

Keep us informed.

everywoman

The way to test for appendicitis is a release test. Press down on the area that is hurting. Then release---if it hurts more when released it could be his appendix. When easy child's appendix was infected, she felt like she was constipated, was nauseated, and her temp was about 100.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Will he let you touch it and then how does it hurt. Side pain can also indicate a bladder or urinary tract infection. I would say that if your gut is telling you something is wrong it would be time for the ER.

hugs
beth

klmno

Ok- I looked over the web link and apparently pain would typical be center or right side. I pressed on his stomach and released slowly- he didn't flinch. He said it didn't hurt as bad any more. He's looking very tired, but he has slept an enormous amount this week which is why he's missed so much school. I gave him tylenol for the fever and I'll keep an eye on him.

I will go ask him now if he's had any trouble or pain urinating. Thanks, everyone!

Stella Johnson

I had appendicitis a few years ago. Mine turned into a nightmare.
When it first started my right side was killing me in the same area as your ovaries are in. I walked around with a burst appendix for 2 wks because I thought it was my ovary again. It wasn't always constant pain, sometimes it went away. I never had fever but I've heard it is common to have a low grade temp.
I couldn't eat and couldn't go number 2. Not to get gross or anything but only watery stuff would come out and had what looked like pieces of flesh in it. I've heard this part is also common. Ask difficult child when the last time he went. The pain also moved from side to side. Not always on the right.

Steph

I'm glad he is feeling a bit better. I don't know whether or not it could be mono. I was hospitalized once when I was a teen for a bacterial infection that the doctors thought mimicked mono. My throat was extremely sore, lots of congestion, sinus pain, in fact there was so much phlegm, mucus, etc. that I could barely swallow. When I got to the hospital, I had to be given steroids immediately as my throat was closing and I felt like I was choking. I was exhausted and slept constantly.

I hope you find the answers you need to get him feeling better soon!!! WFEN

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope it is nothing serious, and that it goes away very quickly.

It is so hard when our kids are sick. sometimes it feels like I never know how to help.

Susie

witzend

The appendix is on the right side, so that's probably not it. The descending colon is on the left side, and problems there can be quite painful. Is he having regular BMs?

F

flutterbee

The spleen is on the left and it becomes inflamed with mono. I'd have him checked.

smallworld

Definitely have him checked by his pediatrician. Strep can cause sore throat, fever, stomachache and fatigue. But so can mono. Appendicitis is typically pain that starts at the center around the belly button and then shifts to the right side.

klmno

Thanks everyone, as much as he's been sleeping this past week he still went to bed and went to sleep right away after we watched a movie last night. I'll see how he's doing today. He said he's had no pain or problems going to the bathroom (in either way). I asked if he knew of anyone at school who's had mono recently and he said no. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

mom_to_3

I thought I'd add to the mix, that here in Texas there is some kind of bug going around that is lasting about 3 weeks or so. My youngest had it, she was very sleepy, sore muscles, diarrhea, vomiting on occasion, sometimes she could eat and sometimes she couldn't and on occasion had severe stomach pain. I don't think she had a fever, but she would cry, cry and cry some more.

At times, she has been known to carry on beyond what is necessary, so I didn't take her to the Dr. As you know, every time one is sick, you don't have to been seen, it just has to run it's course. She was able to go see her boy friend and do things *she* wanted to do, so I didn't think it was that serious. She did stay home from school and work though. Interesting. The boyfriend visiting is what made me not take her so serious.

One Friday night she came home from work, said she had severe stomach cramps, was vomiting and just looked bad. Actually, I was more scared that she could be pregnant than anything else. So, I took her to the E.R. They did all kinds of blood work, gave her an I.V. to rehydrate her and x rayed her belly. Thankfully, she wasn't pregnant, and just had this nasty virus that wrecked havoc on your gastric system for a few weeks. She was better the next day.

Hopefully, your guy will be feeling better soon!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am fighting the same stupid bug. It has now been 3 weeks and has included horrible migraine-type pain. I hope that this isn't what he has. on the other hand, none of my kids have had ANY of it. I just know itis a bug because it is different from any other migraine and it won't totally go away.

Oh well, I hope he doesn't have this, but he would have very clear problems - diarrhea and vomitting i f it is this.

I hope he feels better very soon.

susie

klmno

Thank you, sincerely, but he's being a real defiant cuss tonight. It isn't doing a lot for my m,otivation to fight for him and his well-being, I can tell you that. He isn't this way usually and he has worked hard to help with getting up leaves and house-cleaning the past couple of weeks, so here he completely turns the opposite and while he might think he has a right to, it makes me furious because I know he has been completely the opposite.

Does anyone want to trade for a few weeks?