Applying for SSI - for myself. Help!

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone out there has filed for SSDI and SSI - for themselves? I have been putting it off for 6 months now - but I am slowly coming to the realization that I just can't work anymore. I am finding it soooo hard to accept it. I have always worked and have always been able to provide for my family - although we have always been closer to being poor than being rich. (We were rich in other ways!) I already have a lawyers group that wants to represent me, and have had all the claim forms since January. I guess I have been in denial.

My biggest problem with all of this - I have heard that it can take up to a year (or even more!) to be approved for Soc Sec. How do people survive until it kicks in? I can't go to my family - they have no idea what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck and seem to think that helping me means that they can control me. (I mentioned the possibility of going on social security - my sister called me a f*&^ing freeloader!)(My father would have helped me - but he has Alzheimers and doesn't know who I am anymore. My mother controls his money now.)
I called Human Services and I can get Food Stamps - but their Family Intervention Plan would require me to turn over the $475 child support that I get now - to them, and then I would get $429 from them. Some plan, huh?? My rent alone is $1,275 a month!

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm Hangin' on by a Thread aka Amy

O

OTE

Sounds like me. I applied for SSI for all of my kids. 2 were approved immediately and the third was denied. By the time I got through the third kid I was forced to admit that I really couldn't work. I had been unemployed for more than a year by that time and my depression was really getting the better of me. The SSDI pays out a lot more money in my case since I was employed non-stop since I finished college and most of the time before that too. Was denied the first time which is typical of psychiatric cases. First appeal is within SSA and is a joke- no one gets approved. So I'm waiting for my court date now. How long that takes varies by state, actually by county in some places. Was 8 to 10 mo in my prior state and 18 mo where I am now. So while waiting for it I lost my house, etc. Family situation same as yours. No contact with them anymore- they can keep their attitude to themselves. So what do you do.. you go broke and live as best you can. Now let's see... I was depressed before, lost my house, had to move across the country to find a place I could afford to live destroying my kids, finally had to go on welfare, have three difficult children one of whom has been in and out of placements for 2.5 yrs now with no improvement...so how do you think my depression is doing?
DUH!

There are no answers. The lawyer should be able to give you a time frame. And until that time frame you have to do the best you can. Apply for subsidized housing in the place that has the shortest waiting list. Look for a job that includes housing. Yes, you'll have to turn over the child support. But the food stamps should make up the difference (assuming that the amt you mention is the cash piece). And it will give you medicaid probably. This is a constant juggling. This month I've got 52 cents till the end of the mo with $3.75 in gas in my car, 10 hours of driving to do re my difficult child, car insur and another bill due no later than this mo or it will be cut off again. But between the $90 in food stamps and the food I got from a food bank last week we should eat through the end of the mo. Now if only I could convince CVS to forget the medicaid co-pays on all my medication that I'm running out of..LOL

Besides the welfare money you talk about... I applied for "lifeline" with the phone co which should reduce my landline phone to about $10 a mo, I've applied for the max "emergency" money from welfare, and don't pay a heck of a lot of bills. Welfare also has some kind of energy assistance for the winter. And then a lot of charities will help you out with various bills... they all have different rules. I haven't tried anything like that but that's what I hear.

TerriH

It is hot right now: does that mean your electric bill is up?

You might try signing up for an average bill instead of a monthly bill. That should drop your electric bill considerably, though it will be higher in the winter than it has been.

When I became disabled, I first received worker's comp, then state disability, then Social Security. There was no time between the different plans. I have never received SSI, so I don't know if that is different.

Jillette

SSI/SSDI is hard to get to get it without problem is being lucky normally people get rejected the first time around. I work with people with disabiltiites and see the struggle. I have clients on my caseload with mental retardation or mental illness and getting their benefits a lawyer has been needed a lot of the time. Hang in there and go for it, if denied appeal and get a legal aide. By the way a hearing for an appeal can take up to a year and a half. Good luck.