Are any of our kids at this school that had the shooting?

Kathy813

Staff member
To me it is not so much that she had the guns, it was that she took him target shooting. It would be like if she had the shed full of fertilizer and then took him to bomb making lessons.

DammitJanet

Kathy, Im sure she taught him chemistry as a home schooled kid. And if they were survivalists, where on earth were they going to learn to shoot? The backyard? As far as I know she didnt tell him to go kill those kids. The idea was if the TV show Revolution happened they would be prepared. Or maybe Red Dawn Rising.

Seriously, if heaven forbid, some idiot terrorists try to invade us we may have to call upon all our armed citizens one day because the military keeps getting cut. They also end up being sent all over the world so we dont have as many here at home. Thats one of the reason we do have armed citizens. May seem stupid today but might not be so stupid someday.

TerryJ2

I'm thinking the same thing, Janet. This kid was SMART. Smarter than his mother. She had no clue he was going to pull this, but if she had, I'm not sure she would have made all the right choices. She made some very poor choices upfront, and as we have all pointed out, she paid with her life.
Most of us just get a headache from a shouting match.

BusynMember

On the topic of Aspergers, i did hear that, but I also heard that he may not have really had Aspergers. Many think he had antisocial personality disorder. Very few mentally ill people get violent, but those with personality disorders do. And they have no remorse, which makes it easy for them to look loved ones in the eyes and kill them...and kill little children. This was not a normal boy. It does not sound like a normal family. Mom having all those guns, regardless of any lifestyle she chooses, was absolutely insane (pardon the pun) considering her disturbed child. If you have a child with mental health issues, duh, you don't have loaded guns laying around. My guess is she knew darn well that this boy was VERY sick and she still had loaded guns and an assault weapon lying around. Makes me very angry.
Janet, I do not believe for a second that our "armed citizens" will ever protect us from terrorists or that they even could. And we don't need so many military bodies. We have stronger weapons now. They can take out a ton of people without using as many troops.

DammitJanet

I hope you are right that they arent needed mwm. I however think that the boy scouts motto is a good one to live by. Always prepared. As for not needing so many much of our military? Well we are veering off into a huge melting pot of political issues there. The size of our military is one of the major differences between the two parties. I will give you two guesses which one Im for and the first one doesnt count! LOL

InsaneCdn

I have never heard of a school shooting in any other country. Has there been?​
Yes there have been some in Canada.
But they are not as highly publicized... and assault weapons are not commonly available (the criminal element has them, I'm sure, but it would be hard for a common citizen to acquire) - which means that the death toll is not as high.

DammitJanet

MWM...the day that this happened China had 22 kids die too in their schools but instead of from guns it was knives. The bigger question isnt guns it is mental health. Concentrating on the guns is just putting a band aid on a gaping wound. It wont stop the main issue. What we need is a way for parents and the actual patients themselves to get the help they need with these major mental health problems. We had way less of these problems before we shut down all the state run psychiatric hospitals and decided that our jails were going to be this countries mental health facilities. These people dont need jail, they need long term mental health. A person with schizophrenia isnt going to take medication reliably for the most part. Someone needs to be able to oversee this and as it stands now, parents are out of the loop once a person reaches 18. You can argue gun control but then what about if they mow down people with a car? Do we need to take away cars too? The methods are limitless. Its the person who does the crime and the mental illness that is at the core of the problem. That is where we need to focus our attention now. This is where we need to hold our law makers feet to the fire at a time where they are the most vulnerable. If we can take their attention off what they think is an easy out of gun control and put it where it should really go, we just may be able to make inroads into a place where we have had a really difficult time getting anyone to listen.

BusynMember

Janet, I will NOT argue that we should never have shut down state mental institutions. That is a whole other issue and a good one.
Part of the increase is our new media, which is fast and alluring to sick minds. But we aren't going to go backwards there. I just see no need for assault weapons and see a lot of reasons not to have them. My husband is a ten year military vet and he thinks it's absurd for any civilian to own an assault weapon...

DammitJanet

Oh I agree wholeheartedly there. Couldnt agree with you more on that subject. I hate them with a passion and have never stated otherwise. I have a son in the police force and do you realize those weapons can be fitted with armor piercing bullets that not even the police have access to? My son can wear any amount of body armor and is a sitting duck against an assault weapon. I want those things off the streets. I am not arguing for citizens having access to them.

lovemysons

I just think that any household that has a diagnosed mentally ill person living in it should NOT be allowed to own a gun, period.

Such an incredibly tragic loss.
LMS

Malika

Tibetan Buddhist nun Pema Chodron (who is of Canadian origin) shared the following on FB, which I'd like to copy here:

[h=5]Dear friends - I'm deeply saddened by the recent tragedy in Connecticut. My teacher Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche expressed my own sentiments perfectly, so I'd like to share them with you:

"This is the most incomprehensible tragedy of insanity. There is no way to even begin to understand what has happened. We can only sit with the overwhelming sadness and loss of the innocent. The guardian of humanity could not have to face anything more grave than losing the young unopened buds that were on their way to bloom. We pray that some relief may come in this time of loss and to the broken hearts of the parents, family members, and our countrymen and women. This kind of tragedy is happening way too often in our country, where only a few miles away in Canada, it is a rare occurrence. I join my palms in prayer for America to find a positive resolution to this problem."[/h]

S

Signorina

MM... I was only answering the question above... "I have never heard of a school shooting in any other country. Has there been?"

just an answer.

JJJ

In the interest of accuracy, no one died in the school stabbing in China.

And that is a huge differnce. Crazy man with a knife and crazy man with a gun both rampage schools in the same day...the difference in death toll is stunning.

JJJ

I think that we have almost unanimous agreement on this board that eliminating options for mentally ill people to receive treatment, including but not limited to the institutions, has had tragic results.

InsaneCdn

I think that we have almost unanimous agreement on this board that eliminating options for mentally ill people to receive treatment, including but not limited to the institutions, has had tragic results.

And that applies to Canada, too.

Jody

No but thank you, I am going to check that out. They are burying the first of the little kids . I just don't even want to do Chrismtas this year or anything. No matter how I try to talk myself into it. The thought of those parents trying to make it through that morning for their other children, is just so utterly sad.