Are you registered to vote?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am jumping through hurdles to get my drivers license here in AZ... had to change my name legally with SS!? No other place had ever asked. I have a passport and have lived in 2 states since being married. But whatever it takes. I go wednesday to get my new license!!!

muttmeister

Yes, I'm registered to vote and I always do and as of the last primary I am on the local election board. That is an interesting job. One of the things I found surprising was how many married couples come in where one is registered with one party and the other is of the other party. Must make for some interesting discussions at home.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm a notary - of COURSE I am registered!

I think you have until October sometime to register. After that day - there is no way you can vote.

We have a pitbull for a registrar at our precinct. I love her - NO YOU ARE NOT ON THE LIST - PLEASE LEAVE. lol She's about 89 and mean as a snake.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I am proud to say that every single member of the family over the age of 18 is registered to vote. :D :D

Nichole got her card in the mail today.

SRL

The dates vary by state, and some states have late registration combined with early voting. Here's a site that gives details by state plus has a form that can be used nationwide to register:
http://www.eac.gov/

meowbunny

Yup. Haven't missed a presidential election since I was old enough to vote. Heck, I even was in a class political campaign in the 6th grade -- Nixon vs. JFK. (JFK got two votes in our class -- the kid said, "Vote for Nixon." I gave a whole speech about JHK and his heroism. Think I lived in a Republican County or what?)

I have always felt voting was important. I took my daughter to the polls with me to see me vote, even though I could have done absentee ballots. She is registered and anxious to vote in her first Presidential election.

Marguerite

Not that it's applicable to me, but yes, I'm registered to vote - in Australia, it's compulsory to register and compulsory to vote. We're allowed to not vote under some circumstances but if we can't "show cause" we have to pay a hefty fine.

There is some discussion about whether compulsory voting is a good thing or a bad thing. personally, I think it's a good thing.

There is an interesting story by Isaac Asimov about a US election "in the future". It's actually set in 2008!

Here is a Wikipedia link to it, if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_(short_story)

Marg

Stella Johnson

Not that it's applicable to me, but yes, I'm registered to vote - in Australia, it's compulsory to register and compulsory to vote. We're allowed to not vote under some circumstances but if we can't "show cause" we have to pay a hefty fine.

There is some discussion about whether compulsory voting is a good thing or a bad thing. personally, I think it's a good thing.

There is an interesting story by Isaac Asimov about a US election "in the future". It's actually set in 2008!

Here is a Wikipedia link to it, if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_(short_story)

Marg

I agree with- you. I think it should be required here too. Most don't vote here just out of laziness, I think.

Steph

witzend

Totoro, that "married name" thing is a problem in our state, too. It seems that the only people having problems getting a driver's license (even renewed!) because they can't prove citizenship are married women who gave up their maiden names! It's not going over at all well.

Steph, I know that some people don't vote out of laziness, but also there has been an active campaign atmosphere over the last few decades that is purposely designed to cause voter apathy. One of the main goals of negative campaigning is to make people as sick and tired of the guy doing the smearing as they are of the guy who is being smeared. It's a result of studies that showed that people react to the ugliness by not going to the polls. I swear to goodness, there are times that I feel like I could just run away from it, and not bother. But it's too important.

Luckily, I have TiVo, so I don't have to listen to the ads in order to watch my favorite programs. I just zip right through. We vote by mail here, which means you can vote weeks in advance or take your ballot to a polling place until the polls close. Still, our rate isn't much over 45% in the best of times. It's really a sad statement of what people's priorities are. We are only as strong as the people who voted. Every voter who stays home on election day weakens us by not caring enough to be heard.

F

flutterbee

Yes, I'm registered and yes I will vote.

And that's all I can say without getting too political over our voting process and other such things.

I guess you can say I'm jaded.