Argh! easy child wants to run with-the bulls

TerryJ2

I told her that this is the stupidest idea known to mankind. I also told her that I did not want her to sky dive. (She bought a skydiving pkg for her ex boyfriend yrs ago and he loved it. His mother approved.)
She said, "I'm 22 years old! I can do whatever I want!"
I blurted out, "Then I'll withhold your tuition money."
Her face turned bright red and she said I didn't have to always ruin her good times and good ideas.
I told her it was an awful idea.
And that I changed my mind; skydiving is safer.
She asked about being on the side and taking pictures and I told her she could do that.
But it looks like you have to actually be in it, according to this article:
http://www.richmond.com/events/article_5edeec7c-b1af-11e2-a9ac-0019bb30f31a.html

Jody

Oh I hear you. My daughter who will be 21 soon wants to skydive too. I forbid it, lol. Scary, scary, scary. This is a kid who has never been fond of rides of any kind or heights. She's not reckless by any means but her adventurous attitude scares me sometimes. She likes to travel and I never know where she's going to be going next. I think I am safe on the bull-running. She's not that much of an animal lover and I think it would terrify her. I just can't see the fun in being gored to death. Omg, that is not in any way any kind of fun. I think I'de rather her do the skydiving. difficult child isn't taking any chances with her life. LOL. She has caught that adventure bug like my easy child.

I did see once where one of the bulls jumped into the stand and killed people, so being a spectator may not be a good idea too. Kinda sick, actually if you think about it, you go to watch someone be gored by a huge snarling bull. Kind of reminds me of the Roman days, when they would have fights in the Coliseum. (Just saw that on tv, not actually there, lol, not that old).

BusynMember

I have a different perspective.

There is NO WAY you can stop her forever. None. Nada. Remember, we can only control ourselves. Once she is out of college and off your dime, you will have absolutely no leverage to stop her.

My son skydove and did not tell me about it. Do you prefer that? He told me years later. He was only nineteen.

I would not punish my adult child for doing something that is basically pretty safe and that I knew I can never stop forever. She will probably do it anyway and not tell you, if she is committed to trying it. Lots of teens do. Actually one experience skydiving did it for my son. He never wanted to do it again, but, as he said, "I tried it. That was the point."

I am not a fan of trying to tell grown adult kids who are doing well what they can and can not do. Nor do I think we can do that. They are not living with us and many things happen that we don't know about. I'd rather my kids not be afraid to talk to me about anything, even if their ideas sometimes make me shiver inside.

JMO :)

DammitJanet

Skydiving would probably be the safe one...and you can be there on the ground recording it! Im pretty sure with these packages they strap you to an experienced skydiver so she will be pretty darned safe. Sure accidents happen but she could get hit by a bus too.

TerryJ2

MWM, lol! My husband went skydiving against my wishes when we were first married. I told him I wanted a life insurance policy.
I found out yrs later that he had done it.
Too late to divorce him now. ;) And it may be more dangerous just being married to me ...

There is danger just walking home from 7-11! They have to live their lives, it's better to know later after it's over. My brother was a paratrooper in the Marines- things didn't always go well, and people do get hurt by the bulls. Seriously though, think about how much fun those things are!! You don't want to know about it until later in my humble opinion.

BusynMember

MWM, lol! My husband went skydiving against my wishes when we were first married. I told him I wanted a life insurance policy.
I found out yrs later that he had done it.
Too late to divorce him now. ;) And it may be more dangerous just being married to me ...

LOLOL! It's smarter if they don't tell us. We don't worry then and if they want to do it, they are going to do it...lol. But I'd rather not know.

muttmeister

I guess I have a little different perspective. I think life is to be lived and if there is something you really want to do, you should do it. I don't believe in being stupid about it but the world is a dangerous place and once you have accepted that you can either lock yourself in a padded room and live to be a bored old person or you can live your life the way you want and enjoy it.
Personally, I have no desire to run with the bulls; it seems stupid but who am I to judge?
As far as the sky diving goes, I still hope to do it one day. I have a friend just a little younger than I am (I am 65) who just completed her first jump.
I don't regret very many things in my life but the things I regret are not the things I've done; they're the things I wanted to do but didn't.