Around and Around.

Brodi

I've been gone for awhile do to life and all the "joys" mine seems to be full of.

I am really starting to get frustrated with my counties voc rehab office. My previous counselor got fired/quiet and now I have a new one. She is very nice and professional, but English is not her first language and she has only been in this country for five years and has only spoken English fluently for three of those years. Phone conversations are a nightmare! Her voice is soft, the headset is too far away from her mouth and she is always typing/rustling paper. Neither me nor my mom can understand her half the time. We also seem to be stuck going in circles (this started way before she was hired, it's not her).

They keep flip flopping about what I can do. You can go to college! No you cant. rinse and repeat. College almost happened, but due to an incompetent Disabilities Office and a course that was misrepresented (the department chair wants to get his hands on whoever wrote the course description) that will not be happening.

Now I'm dealing with an employment agency that I've thoroughly overwhelmed. This poor woman has no idea what to do with me since I have so many "barriers" as her agency calls it and to paraphrase:

NO handling of money/math
NO standing/sitting for prolonged periods
NO fumes
NO temperature extremes
Nothing that is physically taxing
NO driving
NO Customer Service
LOW stress

Yeah, this won't be easy. They normally deal with people with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), Down's, CP, wounded Veterens, etc. Not someone with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) from birth that effects memory and vision, Ehler's Danlo's Syndrome, POTS Syndrome, Gastroparesis, Dysautonomia and NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD).

Plus, my mom is getting a neurpsych evaluation due to memory issues and trouble staying awake (they've ruled out sleep apnea).

InsaneCdn

trouble staying awake (they've ruled out sleep apnea).
Narcoplexy, maybe? That would be a tricky one.

Light-duty cleaning would work except... some strong scents to the cleaning solutions - does that count as "fumes"?

Maybe define "physically taxing"? Like... I wouldn't see you working on a construction crew, or loading trailers. Those are definitely physically taxing. Are you OK with repetitive movement and lighter items? If so, you could be a shelf-stocker in a grocery store, for example. They bring current stock forward on the shelf, adding new stock in behind. Often work in the evenings when it is more quiet.

Brodi

Narcoplexy, maybe? That would be a tricky one.

Light-duty cleaning would work except... some strong scents to the cleaning solutions - does that count as "fumes"?

Maybe define "physically taxing"? Like... I wouldn't see you working on a construction crew, or loading trailers. Those are definitely physically taxing. Are you OK with repetitive movement and lighter items? If so, you could be a shelf-stocker in a grocery store, for example. They bring current stock forward on the shelf, adding new stock in behind. Often work in the evenings when it is more quiet.

That sounds like her.

With the fumes, I have trouble breathing around air fresheners, the detergent aisle in grocery stores, etc. So cleaners are a problem. I use all natural or vinegar based one's whenever I clean anything.

Anything that has repetitive movements or requires a lot of physical effort, that's how they are defining it. I worked in a grocery store for nearly 6 years and while I was able to return items to the shelf and front them (bringing stuff forward), the woman at the agency said that the places they have been placing people also want them to be able to operate a forklift and lift 30-50lb bags of cat/dog food.

InsaneCdn

Couldn't you be a "companion" to a disabled person? This is a person who has to "be there" and "be aware", and do small stuff. Pick up something that drops, go get a glass of water, answer the door, dial the phone, make a sandwich for lunch... and if the person needs medical assistance, call for help.