Arrrggh! Just paid $688 for 1 mo supply of Abililfy!

TerryJ2

I looked up the generic online, and Aripiprazole won't be available in generic until 2015. But I can get it from Canada for about $4.87 per 10 mg pill by mail order. But there are so many warnings that not all the generics are alike, because they're not the "Official" generics.
We have Anthem, which pd $120, and our Health Savings Plan pd $275, so we had to put the rest on a credit card.
We upped difficult child's dose from 2.5 to 5 mg and can't tell if there's a huge difference; he's been cheating on his diet like crazy (clogged toilets nearly every day and cranky every other day) so it's like the other 2.5 mg is canceled out by the bad diet.
We're thinking of going back to 2.5 no matter what. I don't want to take him off of it altogether, because I do notice a difference.

OMG, I wasn't expecting this.
How do people do it? The most we've ever pd for a scrip was about $300, and our HSA pd for everything.

:censored2::tantrumsmiley:

buddy

OH my gosh, If I did not have insurance for Q's medications (no copay) He WOULD be in a residential center...no way I could afford the thousands in medical care monthly. I have no idea how you can do it... that is amazing. I know people are faced with this every month. It is just so unbelievable. Can the drug company help?

buddy

I dont know.... I know a doctor told me that if I needed a medication to actually call the drug company, that most of them had programs. I think there are some other programs too that help get medications.... Someone here must know of some of them. Can't hurt to call and ask. Heck even if it was HALF that it would be a blessing.

keista

I think they expect some sort of proof of need. I'd guess whoever foots the bill gets to decide what that proof is.

Yeah, Abilify is new and expensive! Keep fingers crossed that they don't find another use for it or that 2015 date could go longer. I'm hoping not because that's when son's insurance will be phasing out - no way we can afford the regular prices.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree with Buddy! If we didn't have insurance for difficult child's medications he would have to be in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC). No way could we afford what his medications would cost.

Have you ever looked into the Katie Beckett program for his medications? It's a medicaid program and they look at his dxs and other things but they cannot look at your income at all. Our difficult child qualifies and it covers everything our regular insurance doesn't cover.

Ktllc

What you describe is one of my biggest fear, when my kids will lose their insurance (in the next year or so).... Being self employed, I really have not found any good options. I'm actually probably not even going to go with a family plan, but get V his own individual policy. When shopping (I alread looked) I will also keep in mind that the deductible will be reached every single year. With today's rates in our area, I will have to spend $3900/year (premium + deductible) and then everything would be covered 100% for V. (assuming we get that rate after they read his medical file...).
Would some like that be a possibility for you? It would be worth it just for the Abilify!
But still, very expensive (specially when the other family members needs to be insured).

crazymama30

Wow. No way could I afford that. Even before the kids were on medicaid, my highest copay with my insurance thru my employer was $40.

jal

Are you sure Anthem didn't make a mistake? difficult child was on Abilify about 4 years ago, we had Anthem at the time and it only cost us $40 for the script...

Giulia

Sorry girls to seem irrelevant. But I found a very old prescription of Abilify for me (before we knew it was ADHD, I was given Zyprexa, then we switched to Abilify because Zyprexa gave me hypersomnia), of 2007, and it was 117euro.

I was shocked from such a price, but I should consider myself happy that not only it's not the highest price we could find, but also that Social Security and health plan paid it altogether (65% for Social Security and the rest was the health insurance) : we did have only 1€ to pay.

In France, we complain that medicines are expensive, but elsewhere, it seems even worse.

buddy

google TEFRA/Katie Beckett and your state. It is a program for kids who normally couldn't qualify due to parents income but with their disability they can (parents often have a co pay but it ends up covering other things and you may come out ahead)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I don't know if Katie Beckett is the same thing as the State Children's Health Insurance Program...

but I think that even families with higher incomes can get insurance for thier kids through the state. As Buddy said, you may have to pay co-pays or a monthly insurance premium - but it should be worth it.

StressedM0mma

I was going to suggest the Abilify medication page as well. We pay $50 per month with our copay, and it was knocked down to $25 with the card. Not sure it will help, but it is worth a try. Also, contact the ins. company. We lodged an appeal once for difficult child's medications and they actually sided with us.

JJJ

OMG. I cannot believe that Lexapro went generic. Stupid Medicaid forced all the kids to switch from Lexapro to Celexa in July and now the docs will switch everyone back to the generic Lexapro.

I see that Seroquel is also now in generic! That is awesome as it was the one medication that crazy Residential Treatment Center (RTC) nurse and I could agree on. Hopefully Medicaid will cover it now.

TerryJ2

Arrrgh! I have a 30-day free trial of Abilify and can save up to $100 on refills with-a card that the dr gave me and ... I forgot about it. I put it next to the computer Arrrghhhh....

InsaneCdn

I never - ever - put stuff "by the computer" or "on my night stand" or...
If I'm going to need it when I'm out of the house... its in my purse.

Which means... my purse weighs WAY too much!
And I have trouble FINDING the stuff I need... but it iS in there... really, it is.