Arrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marguerite

I can visualise you in your prison cell, a line of Xs on the wall and you crouched in a corner, black pencil clutched tightly in your little fist...

Does your prison allow diversional therapy for you in the meantime?

Marg

T

TeDo

And to think I only have 1786 days left before BOTH mine turn. I am sooooo jealous! :(

DammitJanet

I remember the countdown...it actually went quite fast.

People used to talk about dreading forty and were just amazed that I was so thrilled about it...in fact, I couldnt wait until I was 43! They kept asking me why? I told them, that was the month my youngest would be 18!!!

flutterby

Fly away!
Look at JJJ - brag, brag, brag.:winks:

It seems like an eternity right now. I need to figure out how to set up a countdown clock as my desktop. :crazy2:And Marg, you know I'm not allowed to have any fun. difficult child can't stand it if I might actually enjoy myself. :please:

Jody

I hate to be the party pooper here, but does it end then or do we just go to Emeritus section? Every year I am so excited by difficult child's birthday, means I am getting closer all the time. Terrible, but I can't help it. I have read some of the things that members have gone thru over there and oh my goodness, it seems like it never ends!!! I am going to figure out exactly how many days till difficult child turns 18.

L

Liahona

Part of mine will end. I'll no longer be court ordered to deal with X and his abuse.

Jody

That's good Liahona!!! I guess when they get older, it's sink or swim time. I go to court next week regarding difficult child, and that is something that I won't be required to do when she's 18!!!

flutterby

Fly away!
It won't really end until the end of that school year, but when she's 18 MR/daughter will step in and help get her set up in an Independent Living...thing...can't think of the word.

It doesn't ever really end, I don't think, but legally the responsibilities change. If she continues to use me as her verbal punching bag, she's going to find her butt scooted out the door.

donedonedone

I hate to be the party pooper here, but does it end then or do we just go to Emeritus section? Every year I am so excited by difficult child's birthday, means I am getting closer all the time. Terrible, but I can't help it. I have read some of the things that members have gone thru over there and oh my goodness, it seems like it never ends!!! I am going to figure out exactly how many days till difficult child turns 18.

okay whew... I thought it was just me all doom and glooming.
Cause quite honestly. I can't see the end. ever... other than they can go to their dad without supervision at 18 and that scares the bejeebus about of me almost more than 'this is the rest of your life!'.

grumbles. goes back to cursing the podunk town I live in.

DammitJanet

Being a parent never ends. Being responsible for their mess ups and getting called on the carpet for it does. I remember buying cheap pink champagne for Cory's 18th birthday...two bottles! I think half the board heard me hooping and hollering in joy...lol. Tony, Cory and I drank every ounce of that champagne too. Cory thought it was for him...ha! It was my freedom party...lol.

Now on the other hand, he has lived here on and off most of the time since he turned 18. My oldest has been here since 2001 and heaven only knows when I can get rid of him. The only one who actually launched correctly was the one who went into the military. I dont mind so much when I know I am not responsible for what anyone does. Unless I want to be.

KTMom91

I hear ya. I danced when Miss KT turned 18...and again, in the middle of the street, as her little car turned the corner on the way to college last year.

This year? Hubby and I had lunch at the Space Needle, making the most of this trip since Hubby hadn't been any farther North than Sacramento before.

InsaneCdn

Does it ever end? I liked Janet's approach...
If difficult child wants to spread his wings when he gets to 18, we'll have to let him... but it will be a long road with many crashes, and we'll have to learn new skills - how much help really helps and when to back off.
If difficult child wants to give himself time to mature, so that his brain catches up with his body (it will if he lives that long), then he'll be around until at least 22, maybe 25.
By then... I'll be almost ready to start cashing pension cheques. <if I have any pension to draw on...>

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
All you moms, I want you to know that things will get better. My 25 y.o. difficult child 2 (referred to in the past as "the twin from Hell") posted this on my FB:

Mom and Dad: Vorrei ringraziare per tutto ciò che avete fatto, senza tutti voi non sarei qui. Tutti voi siete i miei salvatori in momenti di necessità.

That's Italian (sorta...) for:

Mom and dad: I would like to thank you for everything that you have done, without you, I would not be here. You are both my saviors.

This is the kid who reported me to CPS.

I cried. But I also snickered. He knows that I am studying Italian and is too much of a tough guy to let his FB friends know that he is grateful for us sticking by him after all the chaos he created in our lives

ksm

[QUOTE=Mom and dad: I would like to thank you for everything that you have done, without you, I would not be here. You are both my saviors.
This is the kid who reported me to CPS.

Thanks for giving me hope for the future... now if I can just survive 12 more years of this! KSM