Arthroscopy anyone???????

Well I have to have arthroscopy on my knee. I tore the meniscus cartilage when I was trying to run (crazy) instead of doing my normal walk. So this is the consequence. I was just wondering if anyone had had this done before. I am going on Thursday! thanks

everywoman

I've had it done 2 times on each knee. It's not so bad after the first few days. You will have to work through the pain for a while, but it will be worth it. Do everything your therapist tells you to do. If you have access to a pool, try and get in at least once a day and walk around it.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OWwwwwwwwwwwww.

Sending healing hugs - yuk.....I hate knee problems DF has to have BOTH knees completely replaced - again. I think I hear a Caribbean Cruise calling my name......Sttttttttarrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I've had it done twice.

The first time they went in for a torn meniscus and found I had also torn a quarter-size piece of cartilage off the weight-bearing surface of my femur. Fixing that hurt like he!! cause they had to drill into the bone. Recovery was a lot longer than anticipated and I have arthritis as a result.

The second time was to clean out scar tissue and it was a breeze. I walked out of the hospital.

Had it just been the meniscus, tho, I think it would have been a breeze all the way around. Good luck!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry you are hurting. I haven't had the surgery but I hope it helps and isn't horrible. It is important to follow the instructions to the letter though.

What things are you planning to read/create/craft/sew/etc.. while you recover? Be sure to have a project to keep your mind busy. I often have used cross stitching or cleaning out drawers while I watch tv or dvds to keep myself busy.

Let us know how it goes. Lots of healing vibes being sent your way!

nvts

I ripped up all the cartilege in my right knee, 3 mos. before my wedding, I blew out my achilles heel and my ortho discovered that my right leg was 4 inches thinner than the left so they did the arthroscopy.

That was in 1993 and I've been pain free ever since! The best decision I ever made. After the surgery, it was like a dull ache for a few days, but I also walked out of the hospital!

Good luck, but don't tell everyone at home that it feels better! We moms of difficult child's deserve to kick back for a few extra days! ;)

Beth

KTMom91

I had it done on my left knee last September, and was back subbing ten days later. I wasn't at 100%, but was able to get around enough to work. Standing was a problem, so I dragged a chair with me if I had yard duty.

Now my right knee is acting up, need an MRI on that one, and I predict another knee surgery in my immediate future.

trinityroyal

Stands, sorry that you're hurting.
husband had the arthroscopic surgery on his knee a few years ago. He went into the hospital on crutches and left walking.

Well I survived the arthroscopy. Myknee is sore but the pain medications have helped. He cleaned out the inside of myknee (ugh) and all that. I have been pretty useless today between ice bags, sleep and pain medications that I am not used to taking. However, I see how it makes you feel sleepy and very relaxed but not in total reality! My son wanted to know what kind of pain medications I got! I didnt tell him and he has not been here. I know he is still self medicating and it makes me so sad not to be able to do anything to help him. Thanks!