Article on overcoming obstacles

Fran

Former desparate mom
I read this article this morning on the sparkpeople.com site. It's really a good thing to remind myself especially about eating healthy(and life with difficult child). I have done a horrid job this week with mom's hospitalization but I'm going to start again.
Fran

Fall seven times. Stand up eight.

- Japanese Proverb

Overcoming obstacles one at a time

Your goals may not come easy. There is no accomplishment without work, and no "win" without something to beat. It's easy to get discouraged when roadblocks appear--in fact, it's only natural. You've invested time and emotion into creating the perfect plan, and then something has to come along and muck it all up. Sometimes, though, all you have to do to beat that barrier is to get back up and move forward again. Obstacles are like the Wizard behind the curtain--they're a lot less intimidating once you see them up close. Next time you take a step back, don't let guilt pile it on top of your previous "stumbles." Just take two steps forward and you're still farther along than you were before. It doesn't matter how many walls you face. You only have to get the better of that last one.

LittleDudesMom

Fran,

thanks for posting this. I've been dealing with a little fear lately. When I think back about my weight, I can find many reasons (excuses) for not doing anything. But the issue now with me is the fear of extra skin. Sorry if you, Fran, find this offensive or anyone else does.

But I noticed Tuesday night, and I even went and asked easy child to look, that I have this little flap of skin under my arms that didn't used to be there. Why? Because it used to be filled with more fat, now some of that fat is gone and the skin is just there.

I have this huge fear about this. I've been worried about it for weeks now. Already having dropped 15 inches in 2.5 months at the gym, it is a real concern. I keep thinking I'll never look good naked or in a bathing suit, but I'll be hot in my clothes when I reach my goal!

My mother is totally unsympathetic (though supportive to the overall effort). Her words "you put it there." That kind of thinking will get me stuck with this obstacle.

So instead of consuming my mind and efforts with that worry, I continued on my fabulous at 50 journey and spoke with the owner of the gym this morning.

So here's the new deal, and I have to say my arms are killing me!

More reps at a lower weight = tone, more weight and fewer reps build muscle (bulk). She wants me to change my workout to build muscle and add a little bulk. She says I will get stronger before I build muscle, my body will change shape, and for the first few weeks, I probably won't loose any weight.

She said I need to do two sets of 6 (I was doing 2 sets of 15), 8 at the most, and do that which feels like it will kill me. I went from 70 pound on the triceps push to 100 this morning. I had already done my legs so I won't change that until monday. I went from a 15 lb bar bell for bicepts to a 25 and from an 8 lb free weight on my triceps to a 10 pound. Yes, I killed myself.

But it is helping me over the obstable of the fear that could sabatage my health committment. If I keep thinking "why do all this work if it's not going to look good anyway", I will be in danger of loosing the incentive of getting stronger and healthier (and hot!!!!).

There are obstacles in our life at every turn, some are just easier overcome than others. This one is a toughie and made me loose a little of the joy I was feeling.

But the dress sizes I have lost, the pounds that are behind me, the inches that have disappeared, the confidence I have gained, and the committment to taking care of me must not stand behind any obstacle.

I'm pep talking myself here, can you tell?

Thanks for those of you that have read this far!

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Great article! I think this is how I get through life with my difficult child. Of course, it's also true for me with eating. At ww this morning I was frustrated because I was up again (just a tad but was still feeling down). One of the other workers said -you always go back down, you do a good job of keeping up with your workouts and catching yourself before you fall too far. I think it's really the obstacle thing. There are always obstacles out there. Right now it's my staff lounge-there has been so much food in there and I haven't been good at not eating what's there. It's an obstacle to overcome and I will because my co-worker was right, I pick myself up and start again (and again, and again, and again-lol).

LDM-I think it's great that the person at the club help devise the plan-you are doing great!