As good as it's gonna get so deal with it!

Christy

School has been smooth sailing until about two weeks ago and now it seems like difficult child has raised the bar too high on himself.

Quick background...difficult child had a very rough/manic spring. He was hospitalzed all of May and half of June and missed the end of the school year. Prior to hospitalization, we were meeting with the school to begin partial days and possibly homebound instruction. Things escalated and he ended up in the hospital. After a total medication overhaul, miracles of miracles, difficult child came out a pretty stable, easy-going kid. The difference was night and day. He had a fabulous summer school session and a great start to the school year. Things had never looked so positive.

And then, he mood started to slip. He started becoming more irritable, energy level increased, laughing fits, crying jags, hyperactivity, as near as I can tell hypomania. Quickly went to the psychiatrist, medication adjustment, and things are better. Not as good as they were but better. He still has a lot of trouble focusing and staying on task. We are continuing to moniter closely with psychiatrist but now the school has less tolerance and wants the kid back that started the school year and I can't seem to get through to them that the behavior they were seeing, while wonderful, was very atypical for difficult child and there is no magic bullet (or pill) that will restore him back to this where he was at the beginning of the school year. The doctor may do another adjustment, it's only been a week at the new dose but that remains to be seen. Prior to this year, difficult child needed pretty much 1-1 support to get any academic work done, I am trying to explain this but it seems like difficult child is destined to crash and burn before he gets the level of support he needs. He is in a specialized program with 6 kids and 3 adults in the class but since all the students have behavioral and emotional issues, it is often not enough support but the school will not assign a 1-1 aide and the best I have been able to get in his iep is that "one to one support will be provided as needed". Could this be any more vague? Who determines, when needed?

Thanks for letting me vent.
Christy

lmf64

I am so sorry the school is being a pita. It took me refusing to allow the school to change his placement to a residential/out of district placement for them to finally give difficult child a 1:1. Ever since he got the assistance he needs he is much more cooperative and less volatile. I wish I could tell you the magic words in your case, but in ours it was No, I think I'll contact Pacer.