As you get older, do you notice

DDD

Actually, I don't speak out to strangers unless there is a danger involved
like an unsupervised child etc. I have NO problem advocating, giving speeches, being assertive in business etc. etc.

In my head, however, I often think negative thoughts which I don't recall doing as much when I was younger...I just don't think verbalizing would make any positive difference. Weird. DDD

Lothlorien

I have always been a bit outspoken, myself, but as I get older I have more confidence to speak out more and be more direct, when I feel it necessary. I don't back down, especially when someone is being irritably confrontational for no apparent (or lack of a good) reason.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Still glad that I'm not alone but it's all types of situations that get me. husband and I were both at tdocs once. We were sitting in the lobby while difficult child was back with the doctor. Where we sat was one side of a back to back double row of chairs and there were two teen age boys right behind us. The younger one was talking about a conversation with someone else and was cussing up a storm. The other one asked what so and so would say about his language. His reply was something along the lines of she wouldn't care or something like that. I gave husband "the look" and turned around. Looked that kid in the eye (complete with the "Mom" single eyebrow raise) and said "SHE may not care but the other people around you MIGHT". There were smirks all around the lobby. The kid of course....looked stunned and a bit shamed for all of 2 seconds and then got that cocky look back and kind of laughed. BUT he shut up! LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
Note to self - (DO NOT have dinner at Burger King with Calgons old man....
Seek financing for Frans sale of the panzi scheme. Google Panzi scheme before going to bank-is this something we need?
Send Snoop Baggy Drawers Dude to Daisys house)

Lothlorien

Don't get me started on the Cussing thing....That drive's me nuts when my kids are around and I hear morons cussing up a storm. I DO NOT HOLD BACK.

The other thing that makes me insane is spitting. There is nothing more disgusting that watching some kid (or even an older man...yes, I've seen it) hocking up a lugie and spitting right in front of me and my kids.:sick: Again, I DO NOT HOLD BACK. I let them know how disgusting that is and if there mother taught them any better.

As far as young males with severe cases of droopy drawers.........I don't bother with words. I've been known to walk up to a complete stranger and yank the back of their pants up.:cigarsmoker:

Sorry, but I really really can't stand that.
Say, why not down instead of up? Especially effective if Star and DF are on hand.

4sumrzn

Speaking of the baggy pants......have a friend that is a police officer & doesn't mind at all about the baggy-drawers going on! He claims it is SO MUCH easier to chase them down when they are tripping over their pants that have fallen around their ankles & they get their feet all tangled up. He finds it amusing! I get a chuckle out of it myself.

DazedandConfused

For me, it depends on the situation. I live in a tough town, and getting too mouthy can get you hurt.

Though, I certainly don't have any problem taking care of myself.

Just the other day, when the drive-thru ATM was closed, I had to get out of my car in 110 degree heat and wait for the walk up ATMS. I was next in line to use it. I try to keep a polite distance. Finally, it's my turn and this guy just breezes past me to the machine, and gets out his card.

Ha! Momma don't play that!

"Excuse me, PAL, I'm next!" and I bumped him a side with my rather large hip.

He looked stunned, mumbled and got in line.

Oh boy, the butt hanging out of the pants thing. That is a constant battle with Son. "It's cool!, Everyone does it! Mooooooooom!"

My rule. I don't care if your shirt covers it. Those pants better be covering your crack. And don't try to cheat by telling me that your crack is covered by your underwear, neither!

I have a few students I have had to deal with that, also. I just tell them, I don't want to see the impression of your crack through your underwear. Pull those britches up!

I've also had someone "confront" me in public. When daugher was in the hospital, as a toddler, getting chemo, I was going to take her outside in those wagons they provide. She was hooked up to an IV, so I had to attach the pump to the wagon. What I hadn't noticed it that when she sat up, the pump was close to her head. Some woman comes storming up to me and very rudely, in front of at least a hundred people in the cafeteria, that my daughter almost got hit in the head by the pump. I was glad to know because I was busy navigating my way through the people and didn't notice how close it was (the hospital people hooked it up and put her in there for me). But, she was profoundly nasty and everyone heard her and I didn't appreciate it at all.

I was very calm, though I wanted to rip her head off. I politely told her that I appreciated her concern for my daughter and hadn't noticed that the pump had come so close to her head. I will immediately correct that. I continued that perhaps she might want to consider anger management, or at the very least, a beginners class in people skills because the next time she decides to spout off like a complete, utterly hysterical, raging moron, that person may not be nearly as understanding of her particular brand of psuedo-concern, and lack of civility, as I.

donna723

"My rule. I don't care if your shirt covers it. Those pants better be covering your crack. And don't try to cheat by telling me that your crack is covered by your underwear, neither!"

Nobody HATES droopy drawers more than me! I just don't understand why anybody is willing to flash their underpants! Why is it considered "cool" to have your butt hanging out of your pants? Is it their way of mooning the whole world?

I don't get it! It's UNDERwear! If there's no law against running around with your underwear hanging out, what would happen if one of us stripped down to our bra and drawers and strolled through the mall? :surprise: The security guards would form a human chain to eject you from the mall! Same thing! It's walking around in public with your underwear showing!

Hey, maybe that's the way to stop it once and for all! Get the PARENTS to start doing it! Once the parents were doing it, it wouldn't be "cool" anymore! Can you imagine the reaction of a teenaged boy if his MOTHER went out in public (maybe Parents Night at the high school!) with her pants at half-mast and her full-cut cotton granny panties hanging out!?!

:angrydude::embarrassed::nonono::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Andy

Donna - I think you are on to something there. Yes, let's ban together for a silent protest by joining the half dressed crowd. The challenge may be that not too many women keep clothes that are too large in their closets - it helps to have something 1 - 2 sizes atleast too big.

Or we can all start carrying cards to hand out that say, "So sorry you didn't get the correct size pants for Christmas/Birthday. You do not have to wear them until you actually grow into them. Please go home and change into something that fits."

mstang67chic

Going Green
Hey, maybe that's the way to stop it once and for all! Get the PARENTS to start doing it! Once the parents were doing it, it wouldn't be "cool" anymore! Can you imagine the reaction of a teenaged boy if his MOTHER went out in public (maybe Parents Night at the high school!) with her pants at half-mast and her full-cut cotton granny panties hanging out!?!

:angrydude::embarrassed::nonono::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Complete with t-shirts that say "It looks just as bad when YOU do it too!"

Awe come on ~ at least let momma wear a thong instead of granny panties! :smug:

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Whenever I'm outspoken it gets me in trouble. Classic example - last year I was taking a new route to work. Unbeknownst to me the right lane suddenly ends and you have to merge left. So I tslow down, turn on my blinker and wait for an opportunity. There was a guy in the left lane who refused to let me in - he kept speeding up just so I couldn't get in front of him. Finally he hesitated and I moved left. He honked loudly and waved his fist at me! My reaction (and it was pure reaction, no thinking involved) was to flip him off.

Another few miles down the road and he was still ON MY TAIL. I had a funny feeling, so I took a left (not the way to work). He took the same left. I turned right - he turned right. :anxious:I drove around in the BOONIES with this ticked-off wierdo following me. There is no police station in that area. I thought of going to the McDonalds, but then I thought, "if he has a gun, he'll shoot me in the McDonalds parking lot just as easily as anywhere else." I finally gave him the slip by turning on the interstate on-ramp at the last second. I've never been so scared in my life. And to make matters worse, I noticed (while studying the guy in my rear-view in case I needed make a description) a hang tag on his mirror...he worked for the same company I do! :speechless: Luckily we have a couple thousand employees at three locations in the area, and I didn't see his car at MY office park - and believe me, I was looking.:angel3:

So NO - I tend to keep my mouth and hands shut.

Genny

Star*

call 911........call 911
I Know what the Ponzi scheme is -

In the 20's an Italian immigrant came to the US. In some misunderstanding he thought that you could trade Italian stamps for American Stamps for a profit of 300% or more.

He conned people into giving HIM money to invest in this scheme and actually had so many people believing what he was doing ( because the rich people that invested really GOT their money- but the money he was paying the rich in - was from everyone else so that the scam seemed more believable) and gave him scads of money to invest. So people would hear and see from the rich people that this "worked" and invest with Ponzi.

Eventually he went bankrupt but not before his early pyramid scheme fell apart bilking US persons out of millions. I think the story I read said by todays standards it would have been 14 million dollars.

He died broke, penniless, but it never said if he went to jail or not.

I ALSO just found out what PWND means and where it came from - early computer game TYPO - should have said OWNED....got shortened to P(instead of O) wn (no E) D or ......PWND.