Asking any Attorneys et al for general info...

DDD

I know some of you are attorneys and some of you are married to
attorneys and some of you work for attorneys etc. etc. SO the ??
I have is pretty simple.

Are all Court hearings recorded? How does a citizen get a copy?

easy child/difficult child had a Bail Hearing a couple of months ago and the Judge
stated "we do not want him to get sent to prison" etc. The SAO
is still going for prison time. :faint:

I want a transcript of the little hearing so there is a record
of what the Judge said. Possible?? Not possible?? THAT is the
question. DDD

skeeter

in our area, it's up to the judge if they have it recorded, go with a (human) court reporter, or both.

Most still use the court reporter. They just aren't that comfortable with the technology and several have experienced not being able to replay something when they want to.

I don't know who is "privilaged" to the court transcripts, however. But be aware that there are things said in court that do not go into the transcripts.

AllStressedOut

Where we live you can purchase the transcripts. They get pretty pricey though, a few $1000 for a 2-3 hour hearing. In the courts I've gone into, they are recorded by a court reporter.

susiestar

Roll With It
Call the court building and ask about transcripts. Who can get a copy, how they would do so, etc... I think it may vary by state and even court system.

I hope that this can be cleared up easily.

Susie

meowbunny

Call the judge's clerk and ask if the judge has a court reporter for all hearings. Some judges have their own reporter; some courts have pools. If the hearing wasn't in chambers, odds are it was recorded.

Anyway, find out the name of the court reporter and order a copy (you'll need the case number and date/time of the hearing). The reporter should be able to tell you if you can get a copy as a private individual. If not, you may have to get an attorney to order it for you (they would have to notify the DA that it is being ordered).

DDD

Thank you all. I did just call the Courthouse and was referred
to a separate office there that takes care of transcripts. The
typed transcript is $4 per page AND requires the Judges advanced
permission. The audio CD costs $20 and does not require the
Judges permission.

Is that odd.......or what??

Anyway, I am getting it Monday. Just needed a bit of direction
from "the family". What a group! DDD

DDD,

In our state, only parties to the case can get a transcript. You pay for the copies and the cost is steep! (This is one way courts raise revenue, they figure attorneys can afford the costs). Could you possibly ask the judge for a letter?