Aspergers Signs

Marguerite

MWM, you said, "he would echo:

"What's your name?"
"Name." (He knew his name)
"Can you get your coat?"
"Coat! Coat! Coat" (while getting it)"

THAT'S echolalia!

I do think it is a stage of development they have to go through, especially if they have language delay; I think it is their own coping mechanism to help them learn language when they have no initial frame of reference. I think it also shows just how smart they are, to figure this out for themselves when they are still so very young.

Marg

TerryJ2

There is something in The Bipolar Child that talks about pain sensitivity. In all honesty, I wondered about and disagreed with-some of the Papoloses'conclusions because some of the traits sounded more Aspie to me.
Just thought I'd throw that out to confuse you more, FFC. :) But it is very confusing, and the younger the age, the harder it is. Don't be too hard on yourself it you don't get answers right away, and if you don't have it all memorized. doctors and researchers are finding out more every day.

difficult child came up with-an interesting literal response this a.m. I was writing Christmas cards and wanted to send some to his after-school teachers but could not recall their names, because they are referred to as "Miss Pat," etc. I am really bad with-names and especially when the teachers or aides have the kids call them by their initials, it makes it harder for me to remember their real names, especially when I'm rushing in the morning.
I was digging through the directory, and said,
"What's the blonde lady's name, the one who's my age?"
"Mrs. T."
"What's her REAL name?"
"Just Mrs. T!" (getting upset now)
"Okay, is that T as in Terry?"
"NO! Her name is NOT Terry!"

Sigh.

(Some of the cards went out with-initials on them ... the rest I found on the online directory.)

The other day, a car let me into a lane during rush hour traffic. Normally, I wave when people do that. However, it gets dark early now, and people can't see through my windows, so I don't bother.

Holy cow. difficult child had a fit. "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WAVE WHEN THEY LET YOU IN!!!"

You'd have thought I'd just robbed a bank. Sheesh! If he could say these things in a normal tone of voice it would help my nerves ...

Mandy

Parent In Training
Thank you for all the great info!!!

marguerite~ Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thouroughly!! That truely helped! He isnt on medications yet since we are waiting for all the results in Jan!

susie~I will definitly have to check his fingers, but the psychiatric did look at the way he was holding his pencil and said it looked like a normal grasp. He does not hold his utencils normally while eating though and still prefers to eat with his fingers most of the time. lol We actually dont do any caffeine or sugar either so we keep everything as natural as possible. I would love those recipes!!:D

mwmom~I do really hate when he does it in public because people do think they are just spoiled, which he definitly isnt. They dont understand that he could repeat this over and over for an hour.;)

terry~ It is so dang confusing. lol At least I do have a prof. that will eventually give me a real diagnosis!! It can be frustrating when you are trying to get info out of them. He just now got to where he can tell me what he ate that day. I would ask what he had for breakfast but he would only tell me the LAST thing of the day he ate! It was so hard to tell if he had anything he wasnt supposed to or not.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond!! I truly do appreciate all the help! I sure need it:redface: