Auctioning the House May 1

susiestar

Roll With It
well, we were trying to get this figured out, but it is what it is. We are losing this house. I wish I could say it was a bad thing. It is bittersweet, because we had so many dreams when we moved in. We bought it right before the housing bubble burst. There are 6 out of 20 houses on our street that have the original owners in them, and 2 are owned by churches. We won't even get 1/3 of what we owe on the house at the auction.

The bank that holds our mortgage has done every single thing possible to make this happen. They tried it six months after we bought it. We were not behind, had never missed a payment, and it took 2 yrs to figure out why - but our first notice of that was an auction notice. They had sent us letters giving us the option of making 2 payments a month, each half the amount we owed each month. We declined, and even sent papers in to decline. They wanted it anyway, but they wanted the 2 payments to both be the full amount. A lawyer was able to prove we did not agree and that we were not behind and we did not ever agree to pay double mortgage payments, but that was days before the auction agreement.

the president's loan modification program is a total joke. we have applied 9 times, each time paying for overnight delivery because that is the only way they accept the paperwork. We tried another time I am not counting and used regular mail's overnight delivery but it had to go through some other company's overnight - i can't remember if it was ups or fedex, but using any other service meant that no one would accept the paperwork and it all come back to us.

every single application was denied for a different reason. We were not behind, we were behind, we were not behind enough, our payments were not high enough to be modified, husband made too much money, we heard one stupid thing after another.

At this point I just want out of here. I feel trapped. it was to be our fresh start, our new life after the struggle of grad school and the worse of it with Wiz. It turned into a great big mess. the electric doesn't work in the living room and no electrician can find out why - we have paid for ten of them. The water pump died 2 days after the warranty expired, but the company did replace the pump but not the labor (special deal because I threatened to tell every contractor here about the fact that it happened at every house in this development including the builders - knowledge is power), and so many many other things just broke or died way beofre they shouldn't have. We did the maintenance as suggested by the manufacterers too. I worked hard to get all that done until I gave up a year ago.

You know what surprises me? Underneath the sadness and the migraine from the giant storm we are getting (storms always do this to me), somehow I still have hope. we will do bankruptcy to get out from under the loan. We tried every single legal way to avoid it, but it makes no sense to try to pay this off when the bank had zero willingness to even try to help. Our bank is a huge national one and is doing this not to us but to MILLIONS of homeowners across the country. they got a giant payoff from the government and used to to turn around and ruin people's lives. That was not an accident, not by a long shot.

I have faith that the next chapter will turn out to be pretty interesting and that we will figure something out and will have a future. i want out of this house, and I probably won't pack everything and I am sure the next owner will have a ton to clear out. no, it isn't nice but they will probably get this for about half or less of the appraised value and I just don't want to reward the bank so this house won't be appealing. I physically am unable to do most of the moving and I know my husband. there is no way he will take stuff out of here just to get rid of it later. I will post on freecycle a day before we leave that people can take anything in the house. There will be usable stuff we won't have room for. as it is, we are getting a storage unit to put the boxes in.

The kids won't have to change schools because there is only 1 school for the whole town once you get out of elem school. that is good. My folks saw the notice because they read the legals to see if exsil is in trouble every day so that they can protect my niece. They saw it and called. I don't really WANT them involved, but it is nice to know they care enough to offer. I won't live wth them, or take a lot of help, but the thought is nice. i would rather move with just my clothes and books and stitching stuff than have them help after the last fiasco and the things that were said after gfgbro hurt us for the last time. some fences can't and shoudln't be fixed, and htis will not get gfgbro back into my life, regardless of what kind of truck, trailer or resources he would offer. I am not going to hurt my kids by bringing hm back. Esp not after thank you woke everyone up screaming just 2 nights ago for bro not to hurt him. thank you never remembers the nightmares the next morning, but I won't ever forget them.

I may not be around much for a few weeks. wish us luck!

jal

Susie, I wish I had some words of wisdom. I'm so sorry...it's unbelievable what mortgage corporations can get away with especially since some were bailed out with our (gov) money. Thinking of you and your family...

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh Susie, I have no words, I am flabbergasted. I am so, so sorry this has happened to you. I am sending prayers for you and your family to find a better place which will give you all a real sense of peace and home and security, one in which you will all thrive. ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

buddy

I am just so sorry. both my mom and my sister lost their homes. I blessedly sold mine just before the problems hit. I pray you find a comfortable place to live and can settle into the next chapter. It is a hard adjustment to move no matter the circumstances, I want to let you know I will think of you often and hope you can check in once in a while to let us know you are ok.

Nancy

Susie I am so sorry that this is happening. I hope you can close this chapter and land on your feet. Do you have someplace to move? What a horrible shame so many families have lost their homes and the banks are still doing what they did to get them in trouble in the first place.

Know I will be thinking of you these next few weeks and looking forward to hearing you are on the other side of this nightmare.

Nancy

susiestar

Roll With It
We just got notice today. Legal aid was working on this, to postpone and told us not to worry, but I guess they didn't do much. We don't have a place, but we will. Mon we will go to the housing authority to see if we can get help, and we will start getting bankruptcy filed because that will stay the auction and get us some time. We wll pack what we want and leave the rest. I am sure my folks will help us find a place. When bro got foreclosed on they flat out bought him a place to live. i do NOT accept or want that, but seeing they used my downpayment for a house (money I earned working for them while husband was in grad school, a deal they had pushed and pushed until we accepted finally), i won't be too proud to accept some help or have them cosign for an apartment. I don't want them to support us, but we will need a cosigner to rent anyplace, i am sure. if needed, my inlaws will help also.

thanks guys. i will check in, y'all are my sanity.

T

TeDo

Susie, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I was in the same place you are and might end up there again in the next couple years. I wish you well on your new journey and pray you really are able to put this chapter behind you. Life really hoovers sometimes and "big business" just seems to make it worse.

Check in as often as you are able and let us know how you are doing. I pray all goes okay. Know that you will be sorely missed my friend. I will be thinking of you. {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

DammitJanet

Hugs Susie. You are where I am worried Jamie could be any time now. He is way upside down on his mortgage because he bought right before the housing dropped and they saw him coming like a lamb to slaughter. No one should have sold a dumpy townhouse to a 22 year old kid for 150K when he was only making like 37K a year...maybe 40K if he pulled all the overtime he could catch. Now his house has dropped to about 60K and he can never get out of it. He is stuck. He is trying for the bailouts but who knows. He hasnt missed any payments so who knows if he can get his loan reduced. He cant go for bankruptcy because he would get fired.

I hope you are able to get into a nice apartment and settle in and just breathe for awhile where a landlord has to worry about all the repairs and stuff. Its a pain to have to be responsible for all that.

susiestar

Roll With It
i am sorry jamie is in that kind of trouble. i wonder if he is as current as he thinks he is. doesn't his wife handle the money? one of my cousins thought things were great. He and hsi wife had built a dream home that they could afford, they owned a sign business that was very successful, he worked in addition to that, they had 2 amazingly wonderful daughters, everything. Then his wife got into drugs and stopped paying everyone - even the irs. They lost everything. he had no clue they were even in trouble or had missed a payment when they notice for the auction came - 2 wks before the auction. he wouldn't have known that but his stepdad read it in the paper and asked what was going on. she got help, they worked it out, the girls continued to be amazing - but it was a lot of hard work!

DammitJanet

Jamie gets all the mail and stuff about the house. He just went through sending the stuff in to the presidents program so he knows they werent behind because that is one of the things the loan company told them. I think he is with one of the major loan companies that was in the news so much. He has been refinanced to another company though. I believe this one is the VA which I am happier with.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Susie, I'll be thinking of you, I'm so sorry this is happening. That bank you're referring to is the devil! Something will come along, everything will work out and this albatross will be off your back. Hugs.

HUGS! I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It seems like this has been a nightmare for awhile. I can't imagine the stress you must be feeling. I know you will get to the other side of this, and know I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Ktllc

Susie, we went through the biggest storm of our lives for the last few years. You are right to have hope: it will be hard work, but you will get through it. Stick together as a family, manage your transition as a business decision (forget any thoughts of shame, etc) and before you know it, you will be back on your feet. Dreams can be rebuilt, or you can create new ones. I am talking from experience. May you have strength and wisdom to guide your family.

LittleDudesMom

Sorry that it has come to this Susie. I hope you and the family find something that gives you all peace and a little chance to just breath.

Sharon

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susie*

Sorry, just doesn't seem to be enough to say - especially when I have yet (and yet isn't too far away) to be where you are, but you have my support, and heartfelt sorrow for what must be scary, unpredictable, aggrivating, frustrating, hurtful, and wrong - just flat out wrong. Twenty years ago it was easy to sit back and be chastised by someone and hear the words - "Well that's what happens when you don't pay your bills." and not have any thoughts or emotions towards someone loosing things they'd worked for and lost. Nowadays I don't know if it's that so many of us are in the same Titanic lifeboat and can be more empathetic or if we're literally standing on deck as second and third class passengers with life vests on looking at the boats already IN the water thinking "GOD I hope there is a boat for me when the ship sinks further."

I'm not a big politico any longer, but it's hard not to think that what has happened over the years to this country isn't all about GREED, and has left the rest of us struggling, hurting, and wondering -lying awake at sleepless nights with the sales of pharmaceuticals going up if the government wasn't in some grand conspiracy with Prilosec and Malox. (Just kidding of course) but it just makes you wonder. And while I'm disappointed in our congress? I really do sit and think what an awful, awful job our president has in trying to keep this country afloat. Whether you like him or not? He's got one of the toughest jobs in the world and needs a prayer or two all the time. Like I said whether you like someone or not -they still need your prayers. I'm having to really stand on my word about that with the situation I'm in with badwill. I'm () close to loosing myhome and everyone wants me to drag that girl into court and sue her. I pity her, and feel sorry for her, and pray for her. Parts of me would love to just (insert expletive) but trouble always follows my own vengence.

I think you would do good.....to try to make yourself a little ESTATE sale money - and not a FREE CYCLE walk through - EVEN IF everything was a quarter? Jess could set up a lemonaid stand style booth and her and thank you could tell EVERYONE that whatever they wanted was NOT more than a dollar and they could get money - Make signs - GOVERNMENT forced moving sale - we have no home - everything under a dollar - help yourself - check out at the front....and give them a cigar box - some quarters and let people go through the house.....and take what they wanted - leave boxes and bags - and see if the kids couldn't make some money for themselves.......AND THEN......what's left after you are gone? Freecycle the entire remains to someone who may be down on their luck and willing to clean out the house. IT would probably help you on the next home you rent - etc....because if you live in a small town words could get back to new landlord about the condition you left last house in. I know you're hurting..physically and heart wise - but there are people out there worse off and would probably be happy to take it all - for some things. Just a thought. And the kids with those signs? May get some good sales.

My heart goes out to you friend. Don't over do, pace yourself. Moving is so stressful, but it does not have to be. YOU are an EXCELLENT planner - so set this in motion and organize, organize and give everyone their list.

Hugs & Love
Star

DDD

Sending supportive thoughts and hugs your way. In our town there are a number of thrift stores etc. that you can call to remove all contents. Among the choices, Salvation Army, Habitat For Humanity, Nu Hope, St. Vincent DePaul, Goodwill and a few smaller church groups. Perhaps it would be less stressful to just contact one group and let them clear the house and you get a receipt for the charitable contribution for IRS. I think having strangers roaming around in the house would be a tension increaser. Fingers crossed that all goes as well as possible. DDD