X

xlagirl

Hello,

I didn't have time to read everyones response, but here is my comment.
My son is 8 yrs old and on the Spectrum as well. When you were describing your daily struggle with him, it sounded exactly like my son.
We too had been deal with the daily meltdowns over here at least up until about 3 weeks ago. My son was hospitalized due to his rage and his thoughts of wanting to hurt himself and others around him.

He was raging everyday when he first went in....and he was on Abilify, Focalin, and Trazadone for sleep. But since coming home from inpatient, I removed him from the stimulant. We tried both Focalin and Concerta. Nethier worked for him....especially mid-day like you said. Mid-day was always the worst! They also added Depakote for a mood stabilizer to the mix. The Depakote took a few weeks to start wroking, but now I find him much more calm, and not nearly as aggressive.
Yes, he still has a few meltdowns, but that is too be expected. He is no longer having them every-single-day!! And that's really all you can hope for, in my opinion.

I also suggest that once he is in a meltdown/or rage.... have a saferoom to put him in. One without toys to throw, or thins that will harm him or that will break a window.
My son is very big 8 yr old (5ft tall/115 lbs.) and my older daughter and I could no longer use physical restraint with him as he is just too strong now..... so the only thing we can do is let him take out his anger (cause there is NO REASONING once he is in the middle of it) inside a safe room. Yes, we have marks all over the wall and holes in the doors, even 1 broken wondow too.... but we do the best that we can, with what we have.

Be strong!! And if your depression gets bad, you might consider an anti-depressant. I have been on them for about 2 years now..... and it really helps me get through the day with my little guy

Take care,
Xlagirl

Marguerite

One thing I recommend for a safe room - a jogging trampoline. These can take a lot of punishment and can also give them something to jump on and burn off some adrenalin. When you want to put it away, you unscrew the short legs and roll it behind a cupboard.

Marg