Autism spectrum child just diagnosed

with conduct disorder. He will be hopefully able to work through this in a group home. I am really interested in hearing from mothers who have gone through this or are going through this. I have been told that he has rare narcissism which really upsets me.:(

Thanks.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
No experience with that diagnosis, but want to welcome you -- this is a great place for information and support.

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in and share their experiences.

It's helpful if you can tell us a little about your situation by means of a signature. You can create one by going to the USER CP section at the top of the page. By all means, use an alias, because we value your privacy. But it's helpful to know the age of your child, if he/she takes any medication, the diagnoses, who or how they were diagnosed, and anything else to let us know where you're coming from.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Adding a welcome as well!!!
Sometimes the Weekends can be slow or quite busy, one never knows.
Tell us more about what brought you here.

BusynMember

Autism with CONDUCT DISORDER? I'd seriously see somebody else. Often Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids act out because of frustration, but I've never heard of one also getting diagnosed with CD, which is pretty much a diagnosis. for over 18 years old too. Is your child getting any Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) interventions? Most Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids present as being me-centric. It's part of the disorder, it is NOT a personality disorder in spectrum kids. Does this professional who diagnosed him even understand the spectrum? in my opinion it doesn't sound as if he does.
Has this child seen a neuropsychologist? Who diagnosed him? It's up to you what you do, but I'd be running for the hills finding a neuropsychologist. WHoever diagnosed him in my opinion has no idea about autism. I can't see how a group home can help an autistic child either. He needs Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) interventions because his brain is wired differently and he's not going to "get" the stuff they do at a group home. If he is naive, like most spectrum kids, he is also a sitting duck for more abusive kids to hurt him. I know my son would be victimized in a group home (he has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified). With interventions, my son has turned out to be a very good kid. I"d reconsider this professional's opinion AND his ideas on treatment.
Welcome to the board, whatever you decide. How old is he?!

Interesting feedback here..he is 13.

The hospital has been working with him for four years. He has been in and out of their 14 times. They feel he is capable of controlling his violent threats. He has aspberger's. He has no regard for rules. We have all been very sensitive of the autism spectrum but they don't feel that this is part of it.

He is the aggressor usually and I watch out for triggers. It's to the point where he can't do anything but be inpatient.

BusynMember

The hospital has been working with him for four years. He has been in and out of their 14 times. They feel he is capable of controlling his violent threats. He has aspberger's. He has no regard for rules. We have all been very sensitive of the autism spectrum but they don't feel that this is part of it.

He is the aggressor usually and I watch out for triggers. It's to the point where he can't do anything but be inpatient.

in my opinion only it's time to find somebody else to treat him. Again, I recommend a neuropsychologist or SOMEBODY who is very familiar with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Maybe "they" are wrong. 14 times in a hospital and they haven't helped him--I personally would choose to move on if this were my kid, and I'd be darn sure it was somebody who was an expert (EXPERT) in autism. Regardless of what they think, they can be wrong. Again, it's up to you, but I'd take this child to a neuropsychologist who has NOTHING to do with this group of professionals for a fresh evaluation. And I wouldn't tell them their diagnosis. My son was misdiagnosed twice and put on heavy medications that he didn't need, and now he's doing great. I wish you both the best.

BusynMember

Again, often Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids who are not given the proper interventions are aggressive. A very normally sweet child with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified tried to choke his teacher recently. That isn't like him, but she isn't an expert in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and she kind of egged him on. YOU DO NOT BAIT A CHILD WITH Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Good heavens, I'm ashamed she calls herself a Special Education teacher. My daughter, who was there, was mortified. This child does not have CD--he has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and gets very frustrated and needs a one-on-one aide who was absent that day. He lost it. That does halppen. These kids require totally different handling from "typical" kids. I'm afraid that your son is getting incorrect or poor treatment for his disorder. MY son NEVER gets violent anymore, but he had top-of-the-line treatment at school and outside of school. ANd he never saw a hospital. Once more though, I support your decision, whatever you decide.

SRL

We're not saying it isn't possible for a child with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) to develop Conduct Disorder. What we do want to convey is that kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) who for whatever reason aren't helped will usually benefit from new sets of eyes reviewing everything: diagnosis, medications, treatment plan, school services, parenting style, etc. For example, many of us here can attest to the fact that a child using a wrong medication or class of medications (ie SSRI's) for them can be stuck or spiraling downward. And as Midwestmom mentioned, they can become very aggressive when mis-understood or mis-medicated.

When nothing else is working the net needs to be cast wider. Has he had a workup by a neurologist to check for seizures and to make sure nothing else is going on on the neurology front? How about a sleep study? Has the occupational therapy area been covered?

Could we ask what state you live in (no need to name the town). Sometimes that will better enable us to help you.